Search the forum,

Discuss Tap washer not quite fitting in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,
Sorry if it is a dumb question but ..
I just fitted a 1/2inch tap washer to my basin tap and have 2 questions.
1. Is it normal for the washer to not quite fit the valve head, I had to take sandpaper to adjust it as I could not "squish" it in. Is there some kind of metric equivalent I should be using?
2. The washer feels too thick, it works but the tap does not feel right when turning it off.

Any advice gratefully received...cheers

There's a thousand and 1 different washers apart from the standard 1/2"

3/8" would be the next size down if 1/2" is sticking usually available in small selection packs or large bulk packs.
Of it you can find an olde style hardware shop they'd probably have them as singles.

Probably too late now but if you still have the old washer measure across the mark on the washer where it sits on the valve seat to check size.

There's a thousand and 1 different washers apart from the standard 1/2"

3/8" would be the next size down if 1/2" is sticking usually available in small selection packs or large bulk packs.
Of it you can find an olde style hardware shop they'd probably have them as singles.

Probably too late now but if you still have the old washer measure across the mark on the washer where it sits on the valve seat to check size.
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I did compare the old washer to the new one and 3/8ths would have been too small. Maybe it is something to do with tolerances between different taps and washers. I suspect a slightly softer washer or one with rounded edges would have fitted. Or maybe I just have cheap crappy taps because the old one looked like it did not fit properly either..
Cheers

If you used 1/2” and had to squash it in, it’s likely 3/8 would have worked. The seat is often quite a bit smaller than the spindle plate.

And yes, there are loads of different 1/2” shaped washers.

Reply to Tap washer not quite fitting in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock