Search the forum,

Discuss Tap connectors (and other things) diameter and BSP in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi....I'm not a plumber but have fitted a few taps and waste water pipes. Even though I've done that, I get confused when I look at the Screwfix catalogue that say for example "Flexible Tap Connectors".
They give the following...

"Dia - 15mm, BSP 3/8 " and
"Dia - 15mm, BSP 1/2 "

I think the BSP means British Standard Pipe and 3/8" is 19 TPI whereas 1/2" is 14 TPI, is that correct?
What difference does this make if I'm connecting a wash hand basin to 15mm copper feed pipe?

15mm x 3/8" flexi is simply 15mm one end (compression or push fit) for onto a pipe and a 3/8" nut at the other end for onto a 3/8" fill valve, for example.
Although I wouldn't use any of them tbh, as not needed.

BSP is British Standard pipe thread.

The difference you need to look for in flex hoses is that some are smaller bore than others and will effect flow rate depending on the pressure.
If that makes any sense.

Most German taps are 3/8 threaded grohe etc

Thank you for your prompt responses. Is it the case then that (for example) on a wash hand basin that has a 15 mm cw feed, I can buy a tap that has a 1/2" BSP thread or a I can buy a tap that has a 3/8" BSP thread?

Most taps are 1/2 unless they say

You could buy a tap that has either will still work the same

Engineer - thanks, I'm nearly understanding all this now. You say
"You could buy a tap that has either will still work the same". Does that mean if I buy a tap with a 3/8 thread I could use a 15 mm x 1/2 tap connector? That would confuse me if it's correct.

No you would need a 3/8-15mm flexi

Best - you say you wouldn't use any of them, why is that?

Don't really need to. I just use a pipe bender on copper pipe.
It will outlast a flexi.
I don't like weak links in plumbing and just replace any jobs I come across with copper, like if repairing a toilet, or replacing a tap or fill valve.
A flexi is normally only a rubber hose with some outer metal braiding.
I only work with them if they are part of monobloc taps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tap connectors (and other things) diameter and BSP in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock