Search the forum,

Discuss Tankless water heater ( undersink ) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello.
I notice several tankless water heater units being sold Ebay.
Some of the listings show these units fitted under sinks and connected directly to the hot side of a mixer tap.

I had been under the impression, that units such as these required an open vent on the outlet side of the heater
( as per a shower head ) to avoid overpressure due to heat expansion when shut off.

Could anyone please advise, if it is considered safe to use one of these units in this manner ?
If not, is there some form of safety valve or inline expansion device which could be used ?

It is my intention to use this unit for hand washing etc and not for boiling water.

Thank you, Pete.

If they are directly under the sink they will need a pressure relief valve, which must go outside, along with an expansion vessel. Would need to be fitted by someone who knows what they are doing.

They all need pressure reducing valve, double check valve and a pressure relief valve minimum. If memory serves me correct 15 litres and below only needs an expansion vessel if less than 2m of cold supply pipe after double check valve. Any heater with a capacity of over 15 litres needs an EV

The open vented undersink water heater you are talking about vents through the tap. But you need the tap that goes with the water heater. When the water heater heats up, the increase of pressure inside the unit drips out of the tap. Like the tap i have linked.

Reply to Tankless water heater ( undersink ) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

'd like to replace this with a tankless water heater. We live in a condo and this currently power vents out to I believe the roof. We are on the 3rd floor of a 4 floor building. Can I replace this with a tankless water heater? Will there be enough combustible air around the unit? Can it...
Replies
Views
R
I just had installed a Navien NPE-2 with built in recirculator pump. I have a dedicated return line. The check valve for the recirc is built into the unit; a spring check valve was placed on the cold line (per the manual) after which there is an expansion tank (on the cold line) in a T junction...
Replies
Views
Rogelio
R
Hi all! I'm in the process of fitting a replacement undersink water heater in my shed and, as advised in the instructions (yes, I know, what am I doing reading those!), it reccommends connecting to the inlet and outlet using SS braided flexible hoses. Nothing wrong there me thinks. I dropped...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
Hi all:) This is my first post here. My Dad recently had an Ariston Next Evo X SFT 16L multipoint water heater installed to replace the previous one that was leaking. What concerns me is that it basically takes about one and a half minutes for the water to reach even a a basic useful...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock