Search the forum,

Discuss Tankless Water heater: Expansion tank burst in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. It's cold as heck in Austin. Temps dropped to single digits last night in Austin. Last night loss power @ 2AM. This morning around 11:30am, heard a loud explosion coming from outside area where the tankless water heater system is installed. Noticed that the expansion tank exploded. You can see ice inside the tank. I have been dripping hot and cold water from all of my faucets since Friday.

I have a few questions.
What caused it? Did losing power help cause it? Tankless system is heated by natural gas but system is electric. Did losing power and not turning off the gas cause the pressure to build? Just wondering if there's anything I did wrong so that I can NOT do that again next time.

What do I do now? I know that when the temps finally allow for a thaw (probably Friday or Saturday), water is going to rush out of the gaping crack in the expansion tank. As such, I shut off the water from the hot and cold pipes to the tankless system. My concern is will those pipes now freeze because it's not being circulated? What else should I be doing or not doing?

After
20210215_113556.jpg

Before
IMG_20210210_181213.jpg

Thanks in advance.

It froze and expanded past the volume that I could handle

aslong as you drained the water out of them pipes you will be fine

Reply to Tankless Water heater: Expansion tank burst in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock