Search the forum,

Discuss Tank Shut off Valve (lack of) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smarty145

Hello all

First post and a bit new to the world of oil systems.

i am currently renovating my house which we recently moved in to and need to move the position of the boiler (a new one will be installed), i thought no problem there will be a shut off valve as standard on the tank so i can get rid of the old boiler (it's in the way of the renovation space) then run a new oil pipe from new boiler position to the tank ready for the heating engineer to connect to the pipe on the other side of the shut off valve, thing is i cant find a valve.

I've attached a couple of pics of the setup on the bottom output of the tank, there is a small screw in the fitting on picture 3 but i dont think this is a shut off, unless of course i'm being stupid and one of the fittings on the pictures is a shut off

I presume if there isn't a shut off i'm in the territory of getting the tank pumped out and having a valve fitted

Any advice would be most appreciated

Thanks

Martin

Attachments

• IMG_0364[1].jpg
    IMG_0364[1].jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0365[1].jpg
    IMG_0365[1].jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0366[1].jpg
    IMG_0366[1].jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 51
Hi
Yes that little screw is a shut off. The slot should be opposite to the direction of the pipe to be off.
Looks like it is already off.

Thank you Chalked and SimonG for the prompt replies, its appreciated

There is a shut off gate valve next to the old boiler (which is now disconnected) so i should be able to test the tank shut off now i know the little screw is the shut off

You learn something new everyday :)

Again thanks for the replies

Good luck with that screw valve. Very poor assembly and I wouldn't reuse any of it because it is far better to have a decent valve on the tank with a quality oil filter.
Get the oil installer to install the oil pipe as it has to be done properly

As Best has stated there are regulations to abide by with oil, get your local Oftec registered engineer to install it all...

Replace all of that assembly on the outlet of the tank as it's old and probably unreliable.

be worth getting an installer now to plan the boiler installation, so you dont have to botch it later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tank Shut off Valve (lack of) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi There was no shut off valve on the tank feed to the hot water cylinder, and I needed to move a couple of hot water pipes, so I shut off the mains water, turned boiler off (Remeha avanta) and opened the hot kitchen tap to drain the cylinder. After doing the work etc, Everything up and...
Replies
Views
Been in property about 10 years and the valve on the (round/bunded) Balmoral tank has always been in pretty rusty state. Tank is 5,000 litres but only got about 300L left at the moment. Please see picture. Looking for opinions on whether to get valve/filter assembly replaced due to rust or if I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have I blend valve from Nu-Heat ( they bought it from Reliance, as per attached spec). I have dismantled the valve now 3 times and replaced it with new components from Nu-Heat but the valve is not working properly. The valve replacement seems very simple with 4 main components and some...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years old now and was amazing when it was first installed. Around a year ago we had a problem with water dripping from the overflow pipe outside and we ended...
Replies
Views
Help. So I’m trying to fit a shower in a bathroom in an old tenement flat in Edinburgh. Unfortunately the thread on the air off valve has broken (thankfully in the off position) and so will need replaced but I can’t switch the water off from the tank. I don’t want to flood downstairs obviously...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock