Search the forum,

Discuss Tank full but no hot water to taps in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

We moved into this B&B in August and I dont really understand the old fashioned system. we have one boiler for hot water and one for the heating. The tank is on the landing slightly lower than the first floor, then there is a second floor, four rooms on each floor, seven are ensuite, the main bathroom is on the same split level as the tank.
Recently, the flow started to falter after a bath had been run but now there is no hot water flow anywhere. I suspect an air lock but I can't get my head around how the hot water could be feeding taps over two meters higher than the tank, and therefore, how can I get rid of the airlock?

If it’s higher than the tank, especially 2m, I would have thought a pump wouldn’t be involved. Turned any switches off recently?

If it’s higher than the tank, especially 2m, I would have thought a pump wouldn’t be involved. Turned any switches off recently?
Thanks, I thought that could be the key but I can't find anything like a switch and the only pump seems to be this one above the boiler, I can't tell if it's working or not?

Attachments

• photo_2022-01-29_11-24-08.jpg
    photo_2022-01-29_11-24-08.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 11
  • photo_2022-01-29_11-24-14.jpg
    photo_2022-01-29_11-24-14.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 11
So I switched the boiler on and the pump is working ok, there is a switch on the pump for 1-11-111 so I selected the highest setting to see if that could do it but nothing seems to be working. I know I can attach a cold feed to the hot to expel the air lock but where should I do this, on the top floor, or ground floor and open the taps on the top floor?

When you say TANK do you mena Hot water cylinder?
If so thee will be a Cold water storage tank in the Attic / Loft / upper floor somewhere, that's what gives the pressure to lift the hot water higher.

If there is a C.W storage tank the float / fill valve my be stuck / restricted.

Re the pump, that's for circulation of the primary heating water not Hot water from the taps.
If that's above the boiler for the hot water, that supplies boiler hot water into the coil within the Hot water cylinder you mention and that coil transfers heat to the water that appears / should appear at the taps.

When you say TANK do you mena Hot water cylinder?
If so thee will be a Cold water storage tank in the Attic / Loft / upper floor somewhere, that's what gives the pressure to lift the hot water higher.

If there is a C.W storage tank the float / fill valve my be stuck / restricted.

Re the pump, that's for circulation of the primary heating water not Hot water from the taps.
If that's above the boiler for the hot water, that supplies boiler hot water into the coil within the Hot water cylinder you mention and that coil transfers heat to the water that appears / should appear at the taps.
Yes, mean a hot water cylinder.

I have filled the system with water by way of using a mixer tap on the top floor and bleeding the taps, I have not really tested it yet but I do know there is a tank in the loft so I will go check it.

Thanks very much for the responses guys!

I will report my findings...

@snowhead , it seems you were spot on with your diagnosis!
The tank was covered with chipboard (!) and the float valve was, instead of creating a stream or dribble of water, creating a fine mist that has caused the chipboard to break down. I got as much of the chips out as I could with a strainer but need to fill the tank to properly clean it.
Is this just a standard float valve I need to buy to replace this or do you have any recommendations of what type to use?

Thanks again!

sorry, forgot to add the picture

I'm not sure it's the correct type as it looks like what I have seen in toilet cisterns

Attachments

• photo_2022-01-29_13-58-33.jpg
    photo_2022-01-29_13-58-33.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 9
Thanks guys for the help, problem now sorted. The float valve was not letting enough water through so I changed it for a more traditional ball cock.
This has given rise to another issue though (potentially), there is another tank next to this, it has a feed from the same pipe that fills the tank as well as what is obviously an overflow pipe, which, although not running at the time, must be as the water in the tank is quite warm.
This can't be an efficient way to have my system set, but can anyone suggest why hot water should be overflowing like this?

TIA

PS, I'll try to get a pic later and upload it.

Reply to Tank full but no hot water to taps in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock