Search the forum,

Discuss System wiring in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Andrew Robertson

Gas Engineer
I'm looking for advice on wiring an unvented cylinder and systems boiler.
I'm ripping out a Boilermate 2000 (1st floor) and Potterton Suprima (ground floor) and was wondering if all the electrical connections for new thermostats and ability to wire to the S-Plan and boiler will already be in place. Would I need to run any new cables through the house?

Can't get a hold of an electrician and is urgent.

Cheers

What’s at the boiler ?

If there’s no perm live I would run a new cable in case the boiler gets changed later on So

Perm L
Neutral
Earth
Switch live
Pump live

So min a 5 core cable

7BDA1F94-CA26-409A-B1CE-0CBBF4845893.gif

658A2C81-405A-4BEC-BC0A-3E7094058F12.png

Sorry, I've confused myself due to looking at the heat only boiler. With the ATAG heat only boiler with external pump, the pump needs to be wired back to the boiler. And yes, I'm G3 registered. Since fitting the system boiler, it's just the switch wire from programmer

Open forum @ShaunCorbs. @Andrew Robertson who fitted the cylinder? Why is it being wired in? Are you G3 registered?

You can still wire them up if your not g3 as the engy who installed the cylinder will come and commission later on
Sorry, I've confused myself due to looking at the heat only boiler. With the ATAG heat only boiler with external pump, the pump needs to be wired back to the boiler. And yes, I'm G3 registered. Since fitting the system boiler, it's just the switch wire from programmer

Happy ? Or still stuck

If wiring a system you really need to understand the cables that's there and if not sure then really shouldn't be attempting, not a dig just my opinion ,

Op - you need to find a local spark you can work with and trust .... there will be times that you need him and also times when he will need you.

I’ve a couple of GSR pals ... we work really well as a team when required

Op - you need to find a local spark you can work with and trust .. there will be times that you need him and also times when he will need you.

I’ve a couple of GSR pals . we work really well as a team when required
Should not need to be a sparks to wire that in mate. Any installer should have the know how to do it themselves.

Should not need to be a sparks to wire that in mate. Any installer should have the know how to do it themselves.

"should" being the operative word

I see recent installs without a PL to the boiler and installs where the neutral has been used to provide the SL or PL and then the neutral "borrowed" from another circuit.

The latter causes havoc when doing fuseboard changes! I always fit RCBO boards so this flushes out borrowed neutrals really quickly!

Before moving into this house, I would have said yes the wires will be there, however this house just two wires between house and the flat where the boiler, pumps and valves are.

I really do wonder how it was originally wired? The programmer had around 8 options with once and twice a day central heating and DHW but it was also clear that all the programmer did was turn it off/on, selecting CH or DHW did the same thing, it supplied the boiler with power.

And yes the plumber looked at it and said he could do plumbing, but getting wiring sorted was some thing else, lucky for me, I don't have a problem designing and fitting the control circuit.

S, C, W or Y plans are a good start, but often these need modifying to suit. So I work with the plumber, he dropped off a motorised valve, I wire it, then he returns to fit it.

Reply to System wiring in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock