Search the forum,

Discuss System Sealant tales? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Every time system sealant is mentioned as a fix for central heating leaks there are warnings that it will clog up the system or seal up something that it shouldn't.
Do you folks have any horror stories or experience of these bad effects?

I've got one where rad pinholed and lady poured leak sealer into rad not thinking it would be introduced into boiler and rest of heating system... She has got away lightly so far but I've had to drain out the tank manually back flush with mains pressure and manually descale the pump and the 3 port valve. 🤞 The boiler seems ok but the heating is not in use yet so we will wait and see.
F and E tank was full of a cottage cheese kind of substance I can only assume was the leak sealer mixed with inhibitor.

I used it once on a sealed system that had a leak, found with thermal image, on microbore in concrete floor. Customer had recently laid solid oak flooring on top and didn't want it lifting. That was a couple of years ago and so far so good. System runs correctly and no apparent side effects on pump and 2 ports. I was very careful to follow manufacturers instructions and measurements.

I've got one where rad pinholed and lady poured leak sealer into rad not thinking it would be introduced into boiler and rest of heating system... She has got away lightly so far but I've had to drain out the tank manually back flush with mains pressure and manually descale the pump and the 3 port valve. 🤞 The boiler seems ok but the heating is not in use yet so we will wait and see.
F and E tank was full of a cottage cheese kind of substance I can only assume was the leak sealer mixed with inhibitor.
Thanks for your reply, but I'm confused. How did this lady pour in the sealer? Did she drain down first?

Thanks for that.
I am really surprised that I didn't get more replies on this subject. As I said, every time system sealant is mentioned as a fix for central heating leaks there are warnings that it will clog up the system or seal up something that it shouldn't.
I was trying to find out if that was from real experience or just from guessing and old wives tales.

After a month, I am really surprised that I didn't get more replies on this subject. As I said, every time system sealant is mentioned as a fix for central heating leaks there are warnings that it will clog up the system or seal up something that it shouldn't.
I was trying to find out if that was from real experience or just from guessing and old wives tales. It seems that there isn't much real experience after all!

Reply to System Sealant tales? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock