Search the forum,

Discuss System filters change the polarity of the water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
System 'filters' eg Spirotech, Magnaclean, TF1, I was told today, 'change (or reverse?) the polarity of the water'.

My comment was that I have never seen any manufacturer make this claim... and considering they make all sorts of claims, I'm surprised they haven't used this in their marketing if true.

Is this true, and is this a good thing? Sounds too much like hocus pocus to me, but perhaps I'm being over-cynical.

Ok, Ric, I am responsible for 3
Of these filters on sale in uk and Europe ...but not the adey
Unit, we have never considered this issue and ultimately does it make any difference ?
However as usual I am pragmatic and as always interested ....please expand on the relative benefits of ‘reversed polarity ‘ to be quite honest if it was 01/04/any year I would be very suspicious
Kind regards Rob Foster
aka centralheatking

Don't take responsibility for those filters: I'd blame you for every design flaw ;)

The thing about polarity was something an old plumber told me today, but he got annoyed when I was dismissive of the idea and then refused to continue further. Whether it was relevant to what he was telling me or just an aside, I don't know. He said that just as a magnetic filter (the stupid ones that allegedly prevent limescale in a combi boiler) works on the polarity of the water by magnets placed externally, the system filters do the same by an internal magnet.

Personally, I'd like to see a proper trial that shows whether magnetic in-line filters work at all, but my feeling is that just if sticking a magnet in a pot reverses polarity and this is somehow beneficial, then I'll plonk one in my cylinder feed cistern right away.

Can you make any sense of that?

Don't take responsibility for those filters: I'd blame you for every design flaw ;)

The thing about polarity was something an old plumber told me today, but he got annoyed when I was dismissive of the idea and then refused to continue further. Whether it was relevant to what he was telling me or just an aside, I don't know. He said that just as a magnetic filter (the stupid ones that allegedly prevent limescale in a combi boiler) works on the polarity of the water by magnets placed externally, the system filters do the same by an internal magnet.

Personally, I'd like to see a proper trial that shows whether magnetic in-line filters work at all, but my feeling is that just if sticking a magnet in a pot reverses polarity and this is somehow beneficial, then I'll plonk one in my cylinder feed cistern right away.

Can you make any sense of that?
You have mixed up the inline magnetic water conditioners that mitigate temporary hardness in water. They have little and in fact zero to do with central heating filters in my opinion in fact the conditioning of the water is only temporary for in line mag units in a water supply, so tanked storage systems are unsuitable
Centralheatking

Last edited:
I haven't mixed them up, Rob, the other plumber has, and my point was that if plonking them in a pot, which I somehow doubt...

but I thought the irony in my previous comment was self-evident.

Oh. So the vast canon of English Literature is lost on you then. A pity. You'll never laugh at a Jane Austen joke then. Oh well.

To re-phrase it then:

Personally, I'd like to see a proper trial that shows whether magnetic in-line filters work at all because I doubt they do very much, if anything. However, as I see it, a magnetic in-liner is designed for a specific purpose and a system filter designed for another purpose so even if the in-liner reverses the polarity of the water, my feeling is that the system filter probably won't (because it is significantly different in design). Simply putting a magnet close to some water and expecting the same outcome as from a purposely designed fitting makes little sense to me.

Oh. So the vast canon of English Literature is lost on you then. A pity. You'll never laugh at a Jane Austen joke then. Oh well.

To re-phrase it then:

Personally, I'd like to see a proper trial that shows whether magnetic in-line filters work at all because I doubt they do very much, if anything. However, as I see it, a magnetic in-liner is designed for a specific purpose and a system filter designed for another purpose so even if the in-liner reverses the polarity of the water, my feeling is that the system filter probably won't (because it is significantly different in design). Simply putting a magnet close to some water and expecting the same outcome as from a purposely designed fitting makes little sense to me.
I prefer Irish literature myself anyway I accord with your critique of in line magnetic water filters , you are not wrong
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

To re-phrase it then:

I have stood next to,John Betjeman, stayed in Ted Hughes house at Hepponstall
I could carry on Chk

Reply to System filters change the polarity of the water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone, I'm facing a rather complex situation and I need your expert advice. My neighbor and I share a boiler for hot water, and we have a single recirculation pump serving both of our homes. However, after the pump, the recirculation circuit splits into two separate branches, each...
Replies
Views
Hi! I have mostly underfloor heating in my house and one new radiator and two old. A bit of metal pipes and three manifolds, but mostly PEX-pipes. The heat source is a Vaillant FlexoCompact 88/4 heatpump. The plumbers which installed the heatpump added Elysator Sanol (cleaning agent) and...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are having PV panels fitted which will dump the excess energy into our hot water tank. Our house originally had a large 210L economy7 hot water tank (cold tank in loft), but the hot water tank died 18 years ago. At that time we fitted a smaller 117litre tank and went for fitting electric...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original heating installed when the house was built, and this revision was largely to replace a life-expired boiler: non-condensing fan flue boiler open...
Replies
Views
I'll pop this into the general advice forum as it seems the most active, but mods - feel free to move if there's somewhere more appropriate. Thank you! --- Apologies, but yet another "boiler losing pressure" thread - I've read many others, but am no closer... Not my boiler (parents), so...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock