Search the forum,

Discuss System drained, expansion vessel showing 1.5bar? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Evostance

We had a new boiler fitted in a new location a few months ago, and we're currently in the process of fitting new valves and TRV's to the radiators as they're dripping slightly, and we want some new TRVs anyway.

When the plumbers came, they fit an expansion vessel in the loft, to replace the old hot water header tank - same placement within the system.

We've drained the system by opening the drain off valves downstairs, and opening the bleed valves upstairs and have since replaced the TRV's and valves.

I've gone into the loft to refill the system to 1.5bar cold, and the expansion vessel still shows 1.5 bar.

Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing this? The vessel and pressure gauge are only a few months old, and unfortunately I cannot fill the system back up without knowing the pressure in it. As a result, the system is empty and we have no heating.

DSC_0135.JPG

Any help would be appreciated.

The guage in your pic is for the system pressure and not the expansion vessel. The guage might be faulty or there could be a blockage or they might have put an iso valve in the pipe to the vessel & guage (dangerous). Is there a guage on the boiler?

the valve will tell the pressure in the system,
the vessel would be tested with a schrader valve.
is there an isolation valve somewhere?
more pictures??

What do you think the chances of the gauge being broken are? I don't get how there can be pressure when everything is drained and the bleed valves are open.

There are 2 valves before the expansion tank to fill the system up, and I think there is an isolation valve in the airing cupboard, but this is open.

The gauge could be stuck or a bit of dirt blocking the gauge. Simply check if any good pressure is at rads.
Unless some idiot has put an isolating valve on the pipe that connects into system from there & it's turned off. The expansion vessel should ideally be close to boiler and the pressure relief valve (one with red cap) really needs to be at boiler - or a second one fitted at boiler. If those pipes froze in the loft, the system has no expansion and perhaps no relief valve operating.

Apologies, this is what I was referring to.

The only valves I can find are:

2 valves before the expansion vessel that connect to the mains water (off the same pipe as what fills the main header tank)

There is a valve in the airing cupboard too which is fully open.

There is no pressure gauge on the boiler

Open the red handle blow off, it will reseat ok. If nothing comes out the gauge is blocked, just unscrew it and clear the magnatite out and you be fine. If it won't clear just get another, they aren't expensive.

Prob blockage at gauge. Fix or replace and fit a magnetic filter if it is a blockage to help you boiler last a few years.

Just wondering if you have had a new boiler fitted, I am assuming that they have converted your old system to a sealed one, again assuming that they have fitted a system boiler , why have they fitted another expansion vessel in the loft ? could you put some information on here about what type of new boiler was fitted.

The boiler they fitted was a Vaillant ecoTec 428 which is not a system boiler. The reason is because they fitted the expansion tank afterwards as they made a huge cockup (cut through the water pipes) so they fitted the expansion tank to remove the airlock and as compensation..

If they left you the installation book, have a look at where the expansion tank should be connected to the system, and what size is required,

I can't quite make much sense of it, however I read something about the expansion vessel being higher than the boiler and must have an active feed.

It met that requirement

I presume that's an open vent boiler? seems strange to make it a sealed system when the boiler is open vent.

I presume that's an open vent boiler? seems strange to make it a sealed system when the boiler is open vent.

Yes its an open vent heat only boiler, have a look at post 10, installer made some sot of cock up cutting out some pipes, so put expansion vessel in loft, think its connected in wrong place, think OP needs to get someone in to check it out

Yes its an open vent heat only boiler, have a look at post 10, installer made some sot of cock up cutting out some pipes, so put expansion vessel in loft, think its connected in wrong place, think OP needs to get someone in to check it out
Got a plumber coming to take a look. I don't understand it well enough myself.

All I know is that the expansion vessel has been plumbed into the same place as where the original open vented header tank was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to System drained, expansion vessel showing 1.5bar? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for someone that can replace the expansion vessel on an old heating system that is losing pressure every day and needs topping up at least three times a day. Trying to eliminate what the cause could be. Appreciate that it could be a leak somewhere, but looking to tackle one issue at a...
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Hey, I've got a Grant Vortex that's leaking water from the seal around the expansion vessel - it's the round type about 50cm wide. The system is at 1.5 - 2 bar, but the expansion vessel has no air in it, and it's leaking water. No water is coming out of the Schrader valve either. The system...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock