Search the forum,

Discuss Swapping a manual radiator valve for thermostatic. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I hope this is the correct place to ask this.

I've been given a bunch of smart TRV's to put on my radiators at home. Mostly they've gone on fine (to these valves)

DESIRED VALVE.jpeg

but 2 of my radiators have the manual valves shown in this image:

CURRENT VALVE.jpeg

My question is, can I just remove that core and replace it with one of these:

Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 13.49.58.png

to have them act as a TRV, or do I need to replace the whole unit?

Let me know if I need to give any more information to answer, and thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• DESIRED VALVE.jpeg
    DESIRED VALVE.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 3
  • CURRENT VALVE.jpeg
    CURRENT VALVE.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 3
If your sure the bodies are 1000% the same then yes

By the time you drain down, remove the valve bonnet, only to find the new threads are different or diameter different, it would be easier and safer to replace the valve.

The only common thing with radiator valves are the inlet and outlet threads. Anything inbetween is not common.

Reply to Swapping a manual radiator valve for thermostatic. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

the majority of my radiators have thermostatic valves. Some of these work fine but some of them dont let you adjust the temp. ie. Setting one or setting 5 makes no difference - the radiator is blazing hot. For small bedrooms this is pain cos the room just heats up too much. we first...
Replies
Views
I want to replace a radiator that has a drain valve. Do I need to replace like for like and keep the drain valve in or can I replace with a thermostatic valve?
Replies
Views
I want to swap a K1 radiator with a P+, the same size on a combi system. Can i turn off both valves, remove the existing radiator, put the new one on the existing brackets, and reconnect the existing valves, and then top up. Would draining the entire system be necessary? If draining is not...
Replies
Views
I am trying to install a new single vertical radiator and need to know if matters if the thermostatic valve is connected to the flow or return pipes.
Replies
Views
Hullo everyone its a while since I posted on here basically because i have had no plumbing issues however I have one now. My son recently moved into a house which has cellar within which is a radiator which is part of the central heating system. The rad looks old, rusty and horrible as does the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock