Search the forum,

Discuss Swaging spin tool. in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

gmartine

Esteemed
Gas Engineer
Never really bothered too much with my manual swager but quite like this quick and tidy result, available in new year apparently.

Nicked off Pb Plumber's instagram account, hate that guy....guns too big and van far too tidy, clearly plenty of time on his hands :)

Last edited:
We have had these in the refrigeration industry for quite some time now. There is also a flare version similar

as thay will be available in the new year i presume they will be for normal copper but as our copper has got thinner and thinner cant see why they wouldnt work

I suppose if my manual Monument swage works fine with normal copper tubing doubt these will be a problem. Don't quote me but I think I read £30, could be per unit as an imperial set is fairly pricey.

I am interested in this tool for my workshop. One of the first jobs I do with the newbies is to get them soldering and to save on fittings I'm using a very expensive Rothenberger socket forming set to do the job. It also keeps things nice and simple for new people learning to solder. My Rothenberger tool is ancient and seems to be going out of spec and over-sizing the sockets formed.

I'm definitely willing to give one of these a go.

As for this tool possibly only working for soft copper, I always get them to anneal the very end of the pipe for socket forming and preventing the tube from splitting. I think plumbers will not want to bother with that on site so if it works on half-hard tube it would be great. If this works without annealing then I'll be even happier with it.

1. I use the REMS Twist. Does the same thing, but purpose built with a pipe clamp.
2. Like the look of the spin tool, but without something to clamp the pipe clamp I think you'd need to be careful.
3. The REMS version will swage half-hard pipe without annealing (15 and 22), so I'd guess this one will.
4. The REMS one comes with some reddish lubricant, presumably to reduce friction between tool and pipe.

Interesting that you both mention annealing, this is taken from the bumf accompanying the imperial swage set above.

"The high-temperature method preserves the copper and aluminiums malleability while performing the swage preventing cracks and leaks and all in just 5 seconds."

Sure the tubing will heat up by the rotating bit but it's hardly high temp or enough to keep it soft or stop it from work hardening? Anyhow it seems to work on standard copper tubing so should prove a reasonable investment, the finish you get with a formed socket is rather neat as well as saving on a fitting.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued to see just how hot the pipe wall gets using this tool. It surely can't get hot enough to anneal the tube as it would be just starting to glow at those temps.

Either way, the demonstration looks good and shows it working really well so I'll definitely give one a go.

Interesting that you both mention annealing, this is taken from the bumf accompanying the imperial swage set above.

"The high-temperature method preserves the copper and aluminiums malleability while performing the swage preventing cracks and leaks and all in just 5 seconds."

Sure the tubing will heat up by the rotating bit but it's hardly high temp or enough to keep it soft or stop it from work hardening? Anyhow it seems to work on standard copper tubing so should prove a reasonable investment, the finish you get with a formed socket is rather neat as well as saving on a fitting.
Most fridge pipe that folk use up to 7/8 in refrigeration is off soft coiled annealed rolls

Reply to Swaging spin tool. in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock