Search the forum,

Discuss Suspected leaking pipe in concrete floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Jock Spanners

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Dear All,

I need a second opinion. I have a customer with an engineered oak floor which keeps discolouring apparently from damp below. The floor is in the corner of a cloakroom and near to central heating pipes. When the floor is lifted it does not appear to be soaking wet. I suspect a pinhole is feeding moisture into the concrete which is rising and finding itself trapped below the oak. When the floor is up it is simply evaporating. What is the easiest solution - did up the concrete and replace the pipes?

If it's not a major issue, bolster the floor (neat square) and have a look. It can always be made good and that way you'll expose the pipes and be able to either repair or rule them out.

Dear All,

I need a second opinion. I have a customer with an engineered oak floor which keeps discolouring apparently from damp below. The floor is in the corner of a cloakroom and near to central heating pipes. When the floor is lifted it does not appear to be soaking wet. I suspect a pinhole is feeding moisture into the concrete which is rising and finding itself trapped below the oak. When the floor is up it is simply evaporating. What is the easiest solution - did up the concrete and replace the pipes?
Up the pressure temporary to make the pinhole show itself..
beware ...often these leaks go around in gangs due to dodgy work or poor stuff. Make sure your contract does not leave you holding the baby. big disclaimer ....centralheatking

Dear All,

As Rob has said - if it’s a sealed system up the pressure to try and make the leak show itself. Have you checked the condition of the external walls? It could be rising damp, or penetration from outside.

My experience of leaks in screed is there is always some evidence of it. It could be rising damp if there is no dpm under the concrete/screed. Is there a vapour barrier between the wooden floor and the screed?

My experience of leaks in screed is there is always some evidence of it. It could be rising damp if there is no dpm under the concrete/screed. Is there a vapour barrier between the wooden floor and the screed?
very sensible observations CW
the Op should consider this
regards Rob Foster

Thanks guys. It's probably a 1930's house. The floor backs onto an internal wall. The affected area is around the flow pipe to a radiator fed from a combi. It's strange that it doesn't appear damp with the floor up but and soon as we put it back down the problem comes back. If she hadn't spent a fortune on an engineered oak floor I'll tell her to stick some vinyl down and forget about it. She's been a good customer but the job strikes me as being a potential can of worms nightmare.

Sadly I think you’re in for a world of pain here.

You really need a damp proof membrane tied into the DPC within the walls to fit solid flooring.

I know most manufacturers will say you can use a vapour barrier but you just end up moving the problem elsewhere.

Am I missing something here?
Why have you not exposed the pipes to rule them out or repair them?

If pipes have corroded due to being buried in concrete, then be prepared for them to be fragile when exposed. You need force to break concrete, but corroded pipes dont like force. If lowering pressurw issues indicate pipe leak , then best advise client of worst case scenario.
Dig up floor, replace or reroute pipes as needed. Its not your fault if problem has occured in awkward place, and under expensive floor covering, unless you screeded over the pipes in the first place. Be honest with the client and ask them not to shoot the messenger.
Good luck

Some people say copper pipe is NOT corroded by lime or cement and wrapping pipes is to allow them to creep during expansion and contraction so painting them with gloss paint etc is no good. centralheatking

Some people say copper pipe is NOT corroded by lime or cement and wrapping pipes is to allow them to creep during expansion and contraction so painting them with gloss paint etc is no good. centralheatking
Yep, I'm one of those people. I'm not sure if the copper corroding is an old wives tale that's been carried on through generations of plumbers but the wrap/sleaving is to protect against abrasion caused by thermal expansion and contraction.

Reply to Suspected leaking pipe in concrete floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock