Search the forum,

Discuss Supporting pipes under floorboards + insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks - nice to join this forum and I wish I'd done so earlier. Some urgent advice needed please..

Our plumber has had to repipe the central heating in our Victorian house because the existing system was single pipe. He has done this using plastic pipe and push fittings. The first time we turned the heating on, the ground floor system leaked into the underfloor void at a sagging 90 degree joint that sits in the middle of circa 4 metres of unsupported pipe. I've attached a video which shows exactly what this looks like..

I'm not convinced by his argument that the pipes don't need any support and only the fitting is at fault, so to save me the roundabout discussion could anyone please point me to the relevant guidance that defines how much sag is acceptable and what the support criteria is or isn't for 22mm plastic pipe?

Attachments

• IMG_2111.mov
    60.9 MB
Needs clips every meter and lagging

Hi folks - nice to join this forum and I wish I'd done so earlier. Some urgent advice needed please..

Our plumber has had to repipe the central heating in our Victorian house because the existing system was single pipe. He has done this using plastic pipe and push fittings. The first time we turned the heating on, the ground floor system leaked into the underfloor void at a sagging 90 degree joint that sits in the middle of circa 4 metres of unsupported pipe. I've attached a video which shows exactly what this looks like..

I'm not convinced by his argument that the pipes d5on't need any support and only the fitting is at fault, so to save me the roundabout discussion could anyone please point me to the relevant guidance that defines how much sag is acceptable and what the support criteria is or isn't for 22mm plastic pipe?

No sag is acceptable the lazy scrot, should be clipped every 0.5m minimum for horizontal run in 22mm.

See page 19.

Last edited:
...and btw the fitting isn't necessary leaking because it's faulty. It's more likely to be leaking because the pipe isn't properly seated and or the fitting is under stress because of the lack of support.

Needs clips every meter and lagging

agreed about the lagging -
No sag is acceptable the lazy scrot, should be clipped every 0.5m minimum for horizontal run in 22mm.

See page 19.

Perfect, thanks! I’m using a registered gas engineer so never expected this :(

Besides the manufacturer‘s spec, what / where are the building or other regs that installers should be following?

also, from a trade perspective, what is a customer’s recourse when work doesn’t meet regs or standard? It strikes me that a lot of work could / should be checked by an independent, or at least recorded as proof of continuing competence.
[automerge]1604740603[/automerge]
...and btw the fitting isn't necessary leaking because it's faulty. It's more likely to be leaking because the pipe isn't properly seated and or the fitting is under stress because of the lack of support.

totally agreed, and also, no idea how my plumber expects to be able to drain the ground floor.

it gets worse really as I removed the floorboards and can see that other (15mm) pipe is only supported by a partition wall and - no kidding - an electric cable.. see attached pic.

Attachments

• 8CFC6976-7114-4C1E-B849-1BAB823CD86E.jpeg
    8CFC6976-7114-4C1E-B849-1BAB823CD86E.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
No pipe lagging under a floor void big no needs insulating

sorry, do you mean it does or does not?

The pipes are feeding three radiators, each 1.5kW, so I can see the case that at max demand the flow is high enough that piping heat loss is relatively low, but at lower flow does insulation make that much difference?

British Standards BS6700:2006
Design, installation, testing and maintenance of services supplying water for domestic use within buildings and their curtilages.

Maximum spacing of fixing for internal piping

PB or PEX pipe

clip spacing = horizontal/vertical

Up to 16mm diameter = 0.3m/0.5m
18 to 25mm diameter = 0.5m/0.8m

Last edited:

Reply to Supporting pipes under floorboards + insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and screed floor. There is a gas servile pipe under the floor which enters the property below the joists at the front of the house and comes up under the...
Replies
Views
Prompted by a surveyors energy efficiency report (and getting grants as this job belongs to a small charity) I've been asked to lag the pipes in this boiler cupboard. So questions: 1.Anybody got a photo of a good professional job please. 2. Where to stop the insulation under the boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I hope you are doing well. I have a problem. Not sure if this was always like that or something is degrading. Whenever the toilet refills when it finishes there is a knock in the pipes. The same happens when the washing machine finishes taking water. Is this because there is too tight...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'd like to install new radiators in my home which are currently fed by copper pipe via the floor boards. I live in a bungalow and access beneath floorboards is quite good access. I'd like to change the piping to come out the walls instead and therefore looking to use speedfit products...
Replies
Views
I've had a burst pipe under bathroom floor. Ive had it dug up and made safe with the affected pipe cut and end caps fitted. The pipes are cover with a plastic sheet and then screet on top. I called out my gas boiler cover to make a permanent repair. The company they sent out have said it is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock