Search the forum,

Discuss Supply line diameter in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
My question is about pipe diameters and how it affects available water in the home. I will be replacing the last 35 feet of an existing 1200 foot supply line. The supply line is 1” diameter but it connects to 3/4" pipe going into the home (through the foundation).

If I use 35 feet of 1” pipe followed by a 1” x ¾” coupling, will I get better available water into the home than if I just use 35 feet of ¾” pipe?

Yes best not to reduce

Thanks for the replies. I just thought that since the line is reduced to 3/4" before entering the house (at the foundation) perhaps it wouldn't make too much of a difference to reduce it 35' sooner. (Using 3/4" for the replacement section would have several advantages for me if it does not substantially affect the water usage in the house.)

Depends on how much dynamic head you have to play with. 35ft of 1ins pipe will lose 0.23M at a flowrate of 20LPM, 3/4ins will lose 0.93M. or if available head very low and you require a very small pipe loss, a 3/4ins pipe (35ft) will only give a flowrate of 9.4LPM for the same loss of 0.23M which will give a flowrate of 20LPM using 35ft of the 1ins pipe.

Looking at that again in the overall context of mains pressure in Bar.
1235ft of 1 ins piping flowing 25LPM will have a pressure drop of 1.22bar and 1200ft of 1ins piping + 35ft of 3/4ins piping flowing 25LPM will have a pressure drop of 1.32bar so practically no difference so shouldn't create a problem if 35ft of 3/4ins pipe is installed.

Reply to Supply line diameter in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock