Search the forum,

Discuss Summer Holiday - Turn off water, leave combi boiler on? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clshaw

Hi,

Going on a holiday soon in summer, is it best to turn water off and just leave combi boiler switched on? Obviously the heating won't be coming on anyway and the heating system is a sealed heating system anyway but read of problems developing with boilers sometimes when you switch them back on after turning off for week. So is it best to turn water off and leave boiler on? I'm presuming that's the best way to go. It's a Worcester 28 CDi.

Cheers,

Chris

Depends on the quality of your heating water and what combi you have. Some boilers will kick the pump on daily to keep it moving others won't. Personally i'd just turn it off and leave it to karma or do whatever you think right.

When I go on holiday I switch it off when I come back I switch it on. I also isolate the mains because I am a geek and take out all my plugs and switch all plug points off. I also tell my neighbour where I am going, how long I am going for and leave them a key! Any more holiday advice you need let me know. PS: post office normally does the best exchange rate. Ha ha.

It's a Worcester 28 CDi. It's a sealed system anyway, so I'm presuming it won't cause any problems if left on.

Can't turn off the power lewis as then my burglar alarm wouldn't work once the back up battery power had gone. What do you do with your fridge/freezer? Eat all the food leading up to your holiday? Ha ha.

No not the whole power to the house just plugs. But the burglar alarm would be pointless as you would not be able to do anything about it anyway. It would just hack the neighbours for a week! Catch 22. Leave the alarm on and annoy the neighbours for a week. Or turn it off and get robbed!! Enjoy your Holls. Ha ha

It took me ages to find this but if you are old enough you will remember this bit at 7:45
[video=youtube;pUhEE5ZA_gc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUhEE5ZA_gc&feature=related[/video]

Regional telly :lol:

I never bother turning the boiler or water off. Just set the programmer to off. Leave a couple of lights and a radio on time switches and have a friend or neighbour keep an eye on the property.

The only thing I do is take things out the fridge that won't survive the length of time I'm away.

Everything else stays exactly as normal, (I don't leave T.V's etc switched in standby even when I'm in the house.) then when I come back I don't have to remember to turn everthing back on again.

leave the boiler on and clock set to twice a day ,set room stat down to 5 and go away some boilers have pump exercisers built in to prevent sticking

i turn the cold water off every time i go on holiday, a leak can appear at any time, from washing machine hose, any fitting, or random things like a cistern splitting in half in the middle of the night, (this happened to my sis in law about 4 am, they heard it and got up to see water everywhere, im local and by the time i got round there was water pouring through the kitchen ceiling) i have never heard of a cistern splitting in half before or since, but it happened in hers and the place would be devastated if it happened and was running for a few days till someone checked it, as part of the ritual of emptying the bins and fridge, i switch the cold main off, and when we return i switch it on and fill the kettle, takes about 10 seconds and could save a lot of hassle

I turn my water off after i attended a job where the cold water tank split and poured water throughout the whole house for two weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Summer Holiday - Turn off water, leave combi boiler on? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock