Search the forum,

Discuss Suitable replacement for a Planus macerator? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I live in a converted Victorian pub, and our kitchen and downstairs bathroom are at basement level.

Behind the downstairs toilet there’s a (Broysan?) Planus macerator that handles the waste from the toilet, bathroom sink, shower (which is raised), kitchen sink, dishwasher and washing machine. I’m not entirely sure of the pipe work but there’s vertical boxing in the corner of the room that aligns with the boxing in the upstairs bathroom, so presumably the waste travels vertically upwards to the main soil stack.
We moved in in October 2014 so it’s at least seven years old, and to be fair it’s run pretty reliably until the past month (and we probably didn’t descale it for the first two or three years, being uneducated macerator virgins).

A few weeks back I found it running and running and running, so (when descaling made no difference) I popped the fuse out and called a guy. Amid much effing and blinding he did a lot of wet vaccing and cleaning, then put the thing back together. It seemed to run better for a bit, although still not cutting out as quickly as it used to, but there was a bit of leakage a few days back (grey water, thankfully) and today it doesn’t seem to want to cut out.

I don’t know how old the current macerator is, and I don’t know how it was maintained before we moved in, and I know we haven’t been particularly nice to it over the years so I’m tempted to replace it rather than throw good money after bad.

I’d happily buy a Saniflo, but from what I can see they don’t have a unit that simultaneously deals with a full bathroom (albeit not a primary bathroom) but also the grey water from the kitchen.

Any advice on a suitable replacement, and/or a pro that handles south east London? Or some very obvious spare part I need to buy and fit (or pay someone to fit)?

Many thanks

Because of the amount of different water imputs connected I am not aware of a stand alone muncher that you could use and stay within the warranty guidelines so suggest that instead of paying out a large sum of money for a Saniflo you simply replace like for like and find one that looks the same as what you have.

Because of the amount of different water imputs connected I am not aware of a stand alone muncher that you could use and stay within the warranty guidelines so suggest that instead of paying out a large sum of money for a Saniflo you simply replace like for like and find one that looks the same as what you have.
It looks as though there are only three inputs connected to the macerator itself: one on the top from the kitchen, one on the bottom right from the shower and sink and then the W.C.
Does that make a difference?

It looks as though there are only three inputs connected to the macerator itself: one on the top from the kitchen, one on the bottom right from the shower and sink and then the W.C.
Does that make a difference?
As long as the new one is identical in pictures to what you have then there will be no need to alter anything.

Reply to Suitable replacement for a Planus macerator? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock