Search the forum,

Discuss Stuttering Water Supply in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nevmac

Hello,

I have a problem with the hot water flow within my house.
It is very obvious when using one of the power showers, where it stutters and really struggles to get the water needed. It seems as if there is water in the system.
I have drained the system, and put in a 'u' bend in the copper pipe that exits the top of the hot water tank.

Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Just for the avoidance of doubt - by power shower, you mean pumped, rather than electric?

How is the pump plumbed in? Has it always stuttered when running pump? Hot and cold both pumped? Pictures of installation?

Hi,

I have one pumped and one electric and they both do the same.
The pump is situated by in the airing cupboard by the hot water tank and this feeds the en-suite, and the electric shower is in the main bathroom.
Occassionally the tap will splutter slightly, but the real issue is with the showers, and maintaining a constant flow.
In the last week, the flow of hot water to the en-suite sink tap has dropped to almost a trickle, but the main bathroom is fine.

Does this help?

Yes both hot and cold are plumbed in, but the problem only seems to be with the hot.
I dont believe it has always stuttered, but cant be sure when we first noticed a problem.

Is the electric one fed from the main or from the cold water cistern?

Last edited by a moderator:
For the electric shower it just takes the water from the cold pipe feeding the tap in the main bathroom.
For the en-suite the cold is plumbed into a pump in the airing cupboard.

I feel its something to do with trying to draw the hot water from the tank and getting air in it there but not 100% sure.

Hi It probably pulling more water out of the cylinder than the gravity cold feed can supply. Either fit a larger cold feed or and essex flange in to cylinder to take feed to pump from. Good Luck

Hi,

How do I go about fitting a larger cold feed?
We did have the hot water pipe which exits the top of the hot water cylinder changed to include a 'u' shape as the plumber said he was not sure if he could take the top off without damaging the cylinder due to it being rusted. WOuld this do the same thing?

Thanks

I will look at the tank and see if I can make sense of it with these comments in mind.
I thought an essex flange needed to go in the top of the tank where it draws from? is this not correct??

Hi Just to test the theory. Put your thumb over the vent when some one runs the pumped shower. The spluttering should not occur. Then look at the alternatives.

Hi,

Sorry for these questions, but what vent should I be looking for?

Thanks,

yes certainly.
From the top of the tank the pipe does a right angle. In the straight from there they have place a 'u' shape section so it goes 90 degree to point downwards, then horizontal then vertical again and horizontal.
make sense?

thanks.

Hi. The pipe work arrangement you describe. May well increase the amount of air drawn in, by the extra frictional resistance the bends add.

really! that is what the plumber installed when they could not fit a essex flange in the top of the cylinder.
what do you suggest i do?

Essex flange comes from side of cylinder. A Surrey flange comes from the top.
These are installed to prevent aeriation.
It sounds as if you have had an anti-gravity loop installed (U-bend)
these are installed in negative head systems.
Where is your pump in relation to HW cylinder?

the pump is in the airing cupboard next to it. it is level with the base of the shower.
I find that the electric shower suffers more and that is situated about 3m away, and does not use this pump.

The pump is only used on one shower, so I think the problem is with the tank itself. top.jpgbottom.jpgpump.jpg

Thanks

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 24
Hi. The downward loop is in a different position than the one i pictured (No problem) The job looks to be carried out to a good standard. Personally i would go for a 28 mm cold feed to cylinder IF it is found to be pulling air.

Sorry, just want to clarify as I am not a plumber.
I should increase the cold water pipe to 28mm that feeds the cylinder from the header tank?

Thanks

that feed to the pump from the cylinder is incorrect

ITs taken from the horizontal draw off that is full of air and water

it needs to be taken about 6 inches below the Tee joint further along thi horizonatl pipe

Thank you for your response.
I am slightly lost on this? The pump was done 'professionally' so am assuming that is all ok.

The problem with this stuttering water is that it affects the other shower as well which draws water but does not use this pump.

I might be mistaken but AFAIK there shouldn't be any draw off from the horizontal vent pipe (the one out the top) until after it meets the vertical vent and that's has to be 450mm min long. I also thought a 'u' bend was only to go from a Essex?

Hi. The main supply to electric shower and the supply via pump are not related. have a word with neighbours as it could be work taking place on water company main and effect others in the area, until such time as any air is drawn off.

i believe that is the hot water pipe, and the plumber has teed off of it to feed the new pump for the new en-suite shower.

The tap in my en-suite now drops to a trickle when i turn it to hot. This also seems to be the case for the shower in the main bathroom. I have not tried our en-suite shower.

HELP...PLEASE

how do i find if it is pulling air? i think it is, but how can i check?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stuttering Water Supply in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock