Search the forum,

Discuss Stupid mistake! Wanted to replace cartridges in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stealthwolf

Over the last few weeks I noticed a small drip from the hot water handle where it meets the body. Quick google showed it used quarter-turn cartridges and this needed replacing. Today I decided to tackle it and am regretting it since I started.

Easy enough to remove the screw covers, the screws and the handles. I couldn't find my spanner set so used a small adjustable wrench. That was my second mistake. The first was not to read up more and discover it'd be easier just to replace the whole tap.

Eventually managed to get the cold water cartridge out. The hot water cartridge was more difficult and I ended up removing the screw-nut-washer-thing that holds the cartridge as well. It meant I was left with this:
Camera
Canon PowerShot G12

Focal Length
15.673mm

Aperture
f/3.5

Exposure
1/250s

ISO

IMG_8597.jpg
Despite not being able to remove the ring thing, I decided to buy a new set of cartridges from B&Q. I fitted the cold cartridge, refitted the old hot water cartridge and opened up the feed pipes to see what happened. In the fully opened positions, both taps work. But if I close both of them, there's still water coming from the spout. No idea why. Figured it was the cold water cartridge. Refitted the old one so back to where I started. Now even more water is pouring out the spout. Despite both taps being closed. If I turn them to open them, as much water flows out as normally would.

Other than the obvious, what have I done wrong or missed?

Probably be cheaper to fit new taps.....you need to get the right cartridge for a the tap or a set of tap revivers....BnQ is not really the place to go, a plumbers merchants like Graham's, PTS/ City or Plumb Centre .....

Welcome to the forum and the murky world of plumbing stealthwolf.

Don't know. I've isolated the supplies individually and the cold water is fine. The problem is the hot water. There's hot water coming through the tap as though it's partially opened. Turning the hot water tap fully means more comes out. The only way to stop this is by turning off the feed.

I went to the local plumber merchant who gave me the same sort of cartridges (same size and everything). He tried to remove the bush/washer/collar nut thing without success. He suggested swapping the innards. I tried swapping the old cold cartridge one and there's no difference. The new cartridges - the centre bit with the teeth wont fit because it's got a slightly wider neck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turns out that I'd fitted the stationary disc upside down! :66: Reversed it and everything seems fine.

Ha ha did exactly the same thing today but couldn't get the cartridge out and so ended up buying some new taps and flexible hoses, finally job done about half hour ago. These things always take me most of the day as I end up going back to the shops at least twice, this time it was for jointing compound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stupid mistake! Wanted to replace cartridges in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock