Search the forum,

Discuss Stuck shower thermostatic valve in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Help! The shower thermostatic valve has snapped with half of it stuck inside (the front and centre of the valve are out). Long nosed pliers and WD40 have had no success, and the whole fitting is moving when trying to pull. I was thinking it might be possible to get something in, attach to the stuck part, and then screw it out using the casing as the counter balance.

On the image the outer brass ring is the casing the valve screws into, the inner brass ring is the valve where it has snapped and the hexagonal shape at the back end of the valve. Any ideas what I could use to attach to the back of the hexagonal hole to get a grip then I could put a bar across the outer casing and screw it out potentially.

Other ideas also welcome!

Only suggestion so far is to tear out the tiles and replace entire fitting but entire bathroom tiled so REALLY don't want to do this.

Attachments

• IMG_0670.jpeg
    IMG_0670.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0582.jpeg
    IMG_0582.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 6
Try getting an appropriate size Allen hex bit and use with a 1/2" or 3/8" square drive socket extension to try and unscrew via the hex at the bottom? If it won't turn, then there is no way its going to come out by pulling. If it does turn, a bit of WD40 or similar, and a bit more turning might loosen it enough to pull out with pliers. As the thermostatic capsule is out (at least, I can't see it) you could try pouring boiling water on the valve. The thermal shock of expansion might be enough to loosen it a little.

I know measuring the hex isn't easy but you could try various round bars until you find one that just fits, then the diameter gives you the "across the flats" measurement. Alternatively the head of a long bolt, or, as a last resort, plasticine on a long rod. If you have, or can borrow, a set of set of Allen hex bits, no need for the foregoing.

Are you sure the valve is broken. These normally come apart, with the two parts screwed together and sealed with something like high strength thread locking compound. The hex is normally used to screw the two parts together during manufacture. If the thread lock fails, the cartridge will come apart as yours has.

Reply to Stuck shower thermostatic valve in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Guy's, Looking for some advice on an issue I have having with a recently installed thermostatic mixer shower in my ensuite. Everything was working fine for a coupe of months however now the valve has started misbehaving which is resulting in having to turn the temperature valve round further...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Aqualisa Midas thermostatic shower that has a very stiff temperature control. I have taken off the control knob and unscrewed the small cartridge screw with a hex key, but the cartridge is stuck fast inside the valve. I think it's a build up of limescale over several years and it...
Replies
Views
T
I am redoing my bathroom and not sure what the best way of doing my shower is which is in my bath, I want a rain shower and so I was thinking of using a thermostatic shower valve as I have removed the plasterboard to re tile (new build) and thought this is a good opportunity to do it, my...
Replies
Views
Thermostatic shower
T
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
J
I have an Arteform shower valve in my bathroom - top lever for the main shower head, middle for the handheld hose and bottom is the thermostatic control. The hot was not getting hot enough recently so (under instructions from the manufacturer) I removed the allen key valves bottom left and right...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock