Search the forum,

Discuss Stuck Radiator Air Vents . in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

verdigrey

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I could do with some advice please . We had to drain a heating system today that has about 17 rads in it . About 3 of the rads had air vents that were stuck fast . I tryed different keys but none of them worked . As the vents are in the back i used a mirror to check and some had rounded corners so they had obviously been a problem in the past .
The rads are like an older version of the Quinn roundtops .
I have some brass air vents that are threaded to go in the end of some rads , but these are on the back side ( no pun intended )
I did wonder wether to just leave the vents alone and drill and Tap the rad and thread the hole to accept a new brass vent , but not sure if the metal is thick enough to get enough threads !
Any ideas gratefully accepted .

drip out the rad in question and roll it over for a closer look. i think you will find drill and tapping will not work in the thinner walls of the rad.
you may find it better allround drilling out the nipple with an extracter screw then replacing. also sounds like its a wickes rad.
tyour valve key is also a factor, get a quality one and grind flat the bevel on it so it seats deeper onto the nipple head.

Thanks for your reply Redsaw , If i do manage to drill out the vent screw do you know where i can get some new screws ? I have some new brass air vents , but the screw thread is smaller and finer than these stuck ones . I usually keep the screws from scrap rads , but I cant find any just now .
Thanks again .

As its only 3 rads you might get away with shootin mains water pressure into the system and push out the air, it gets loads of airlocks out.

its not a permanent solution

centralheatking

Personally I wouldn't bother too hard. If you get it wrong and damage the rads the punter could insist you replace them at no cost to him. Bite the bullet now, tell your punter and quote for 3 new rads.

Thanks for your help guys , I am going to quote for New Rads as a back up plan ,but I would like to solve this prob if I can . Cheers .

Thanks for your reply Redsaw , If i do manage to drill out the vent screw do you know where i can get some new screws ? I have some new brass air vents , but the screw thread is smaller and finer than these stuck ones . I usually keep the screws from scrap rads , but I cant find any just now .
Thanks again .
had this situation the other day, snapped a 1/8th nipple. boss went to 2 merchants and came back saying no one stocks them anywhere ranting and raving. then i said toolstation do!. 98p each, if only he asked.:D

Hi. I you want to finish the job and agree with clientthat the rads need changing at a latter date. Dill a hole in top and screw in a self taping screw, with a bit of ptfe around the shoulder of screw. Good luck

If I was the customer and you were to tell me beforehand that you were going to attempt a repair that might not be successful and give me a price for new rads before you started I would be happy. If you were to attempt a repair and then say that they were beyond salvaging without telling me the possibility I might be less happy.

Mind you, I'm Easy by name - Easy by nature.

Easy T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stuck Radiator Air Vents . in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock