Search the forum,

Discuss Stuck Nut on Widespread Sink Bathroom Faucet Handle - in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm a DIYer and I have a Widespread Bathroom sink that i'm working on. The cold water handle is loose and turns on top of the countertop. I've looked under the countertop and can see that the nut that is used to snug the fixture isn't all the way tight. The problem is there is water corrosion on the nut and it won't come loose. I've sprayed it with a WD-40 type solution to loosen it, but it still won't budge. Any suggestions?

Unless in a rush keep squirting for a few days (put a drip tray underneath). If you have a basin wrench with Tommy bar, try an extension tube on the bar. Remember they built the pyramids with leverage. The wrench may well fail though. Heat would be another option, but be careful and you might not want to melt the soldered tap connector if that is the case, also the fibre washer may well need replacement. If you have removed the plumbing then box spanner or sockets might help. Stillsons to hold the tap.

All this is where a professional has the balance of strength and gentleness to get it undone without breaking either the plumbing or themselves.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Roy. (amateur with no hand strength)

Unless in a rush keep squirting for a few days (put a drip tray underneath). If you have a basin wrench with Tommy bar, try an extension tube on the bar. Remember they built the pyramids with leverage. The wrench may well fail though. Heat would be another option, but be careful and you might not want to melt the soldered tap connector if that is the case, also the fibre washer may well need replacement. If you have removed the plumbing then box spanner or sockets might help. Stillsons to hold the tap.

All this is where a professional has the balance of strength and gentleness to get it undone without breaking either the plumbing or themselves.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Roy. (amateur with no hand strength)
Thanks Roy, i'll keep at it. It may ultimately come down to calling in the professional. Luckily the bathroom has 2 sinks, so I have time on my side, at the moment!

Loosen the nut further to give more room then clean up the threads with a small wire brush, eg a little brass one sold as a suede shoe brush.
Once the threads are clear it’ll be easy.

Reply to Stuck Nut on Widespread Sink Bathroom Faucet Handle - in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock