Search the forum,

Discuss Stuck kitchen tap shroud in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Please can you help. I’m trying to replace the cartridge on our monobloc kitchen mixer tap. I’ve found the secret hexnut and removed the handle cover, but can’t get the shroud ring to budge. So far I’ve tried lots of WD40, descaler (vinegar, lemon juice, oust) & boiling water. Unfortunately it’s on the side so difficult to fully soak it. My pump pliers fit, but won’t grip it so I bought a belt wrench, but this also slips off. There’s no flat edge to grip! Any ideas- should I try hitting it gently with a hammer to try to free it or would this do more harm than good? We live in a very hard water area so I think it’s welded solid with limescale where it’s been leaking for ages (although I’m also starting to wonder if the threads are crossed).
I saw on another similar thread, someone suggested drilling a hole but there’s only about 3mm from the edge to the inner brass nut so I can’t quite picture how this would work- I think I might end up drilling the two pieces together.

It’s not reverse thread is it ?

It’s not reverse thread is it ?
I don’t think so. I’ve focused mostly on turning it anti-clockwise, but I did try turning it away from me too as I’d seen someone suggesting that this can also free up stuck tap shrouds. It wouldn’t budge in either direction. Just wondered if there were any other tricks?

Other than boiling water and then use some crack it spray eg very cold quick

Photo of said tap? One remedy might be to soak (I feel you’re able) with Coca Cola, or Cillit Bang?

I hadn’t heard of crack-it sounds like it’s worth a shot. I can only unscrew with my hand. Can you leave 30 mins to warm up again-will it still work or do you have to unscrew whilst it’s frozen? Sorry I thought I’d attached a photo with my first post but it isn’t showing (think I forgot to hit save!) so have reattached. Might also try Coca Cola. It’s hard to fully soak as it’s on the side of the tap- as hopefully you can now see in photo.

Not sure how much to persevere- was prepared for failure at cartridge stage & not finding a match, but hoped to at least get it out!

Attachments

• 6A788B01-4327-4642-A8D7-37CD33A54D00.jpeg
    6A788B01-4327-4642-A8D7-37CD33A54D00.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Regards soaking it, are you able to fill a small tie handle bag around it with the fluid inside the bag?

I love those with the chamfer so all tools slide off!

Have you tried prising it off? This type sometimes just push on over an o-ring, gets surprisingly tight over time.

If not try cutting a small slot in the edge of the shroud (at bottom/back so not too visible) the put an old screwdriver etc in the slot and drive it round by tapping with a hammer.

Or get a new tap….

I hadn’t heard of crack-it sounds like it’s worth a shot. I can only unscrew with my hand. Can you leave 30 mins to warm up again-will it still work or do you have to unscrew whilst it’s frozen?
Apologies for stating the obvious, but the idea is to make the tap body as hot as practicable, and the collar as cold as possible, at the same time, and try unscrewing immediately while the thermal difference has in theory opened up the gap between the male and female threads. Careful use of a blow-torch and freezer spay might do it 🤔

Ah I thought so! Problem is, I can’t grip it with anything but my hand 🥶so maybe the groove for the screwdriver is the way forward with the heat/cold applied. TBH I’m starting to lose heart a bit. It’s a stupid design there’s no way to grip that narrow sloping collar with any sort of wrench! It’s completely concealed with the cover back on. It just needed 2 flat bits on it.

Looking at new taps. Looks like a 2 handle design next time at least you can change those cartridges more easily, although I really liked this tap.🙄

As much as I can. There's no gap to get anything into the crack between the body of the tap and the edge of the shroud i.e. looks overtightened. Tried to get leverage from the open edge, but nothing much to lever against there either.

I've now tried sawing a notch to get a screwdriver in and tried the hammer suggested. The whole tap moved instead so I guess it's still stuck pretty solid!

Hey just given it another whack with the hammer and screwdriver to my surprise it moved!!
Phew it’s off! But look what’s underneath. I was hoping to find a brass nut, but it’s one of those brass rings with 4 little notches instead🤨. I think they’re supposed to come with a specific tool, which obviously I don’t have. What do you recommend using? Have you seen these before? Loads of limescale around it too. Notches are tiny 2mm wide. Am I missing something obvious?

Attachments

• 10B04CBE-5DCE-4D00-9845-97E16F1B27FD.jpeg
    10B04CBE-5DCE-4D00-9845-97E16F1B27FD.jpeg
    453.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
You might be able to start it by tapping it (starting roughly vertically) round in the same way as you've done for the collar.
Once it's unstuck, I have successfully used needle nosed pliers with each jaw in opposite slots, and an adjustable spanner holding the plier joint to turn them.

Thanks that’s v helpful. I gave it a tap to try, but will start as you say on the vertical and go round. I think it probably needs some serious soaking & descaling again. I thought needle nosed pliers but couldn’t picture how they’d stay set to right width & be able to apply pressure (wouldn’t have thought of the spanner trick!) Hopefully if I can loosen it it will go like the other one did. Thanks for confirming direction too.
I’ve filed the limescale off the other thread so the shroud goes back on smoothly by hand now. And although i scratched the shroud a bit trying to get it off you can’t really see it when the tap’s back together.

Will let you know how it goes. I hope I can get the cartridge out.

I don’t think so. I’ve focused mostly on turning it anti-clockwise, but I did try turning it away from me too as I’d seen someone suggesting that this can also free up stuck tap shrouds. It wouldn’t budge in either direction. Just wondered if there were any other tricks?
The shrouds are generally constructed of relatively thin metal which tends to flex when grips are used, and make the whole thing more difficult to turn. What usually helps is to use a small flat bladed screwdriver ( in conjunction with a hammer ) as a drift against the edge of the shroud. It will leave a small mark but depending where it is this is rarely a problem.

Reply to Stuck kitchen tap shroud in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock