Search the forum,

Discuss Stubborn taps. Need advice on dismantling in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all

I came across this dead thread below and it refers to the question I need to ask.

I have the same type of taps that I need to service. Don't want to force anything so I would like to run this by you all.

I have attached a pic of the taps in question. You can see they are the same as the one in the dead thread.

I have had a good fiddle with them but I want to confirm how they come apart before I get medieaval.

They have a C and H button on the top of the tap.

How do you get these off? There doesn't seem to be any place to fit a pick so that you can prise them off.

So do these prise off or screw off to reveal a screw so that the handle can then be removed?

But even if I do get the handles off I have tried turning the shroud. It turns freely and doesn't seem to be threaded even though it's hex shaped.

But when I lift the shroud I can only lift it a couple of millis. Nowhere near enough to get underneath it.

There seems to be something stopping it from lifting. Is there a special way to do this and get to the underlying valve hex?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20191108_105305.jpg
    IMG_20191108_105305.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 24
I'd say the cap with the H & C in unscrews.
Then remove screw, pull cross up and the shroud will lift out of the way.
Thanks Snowhead. There does appear to be evidence of someone gripping one of the caps with pliars. The cold tap. A small bit on the cold tap looks like it's knurled. I could give it a gentle twist.

Yes that'll be how these dismantle. After you've got the head off then you will also need to unscrew the shroud anti-clockwise to remove and gain access to the tap cartridge. Both should be only hand tight but the often seize up with gunk. Wearing a rubber washing up glove can give you the purchase you might need to undo these things. If that doesn't work use some soft jaw grips or normal grips and protect the finish with a rag.

Yes that'll be how these dismantle. After you've got the head off then you will also need to unscrew the shroud anti-clockwise to remove and gain access to the tap cartridge. Both should be only hand tight but the often seize up with gunk. Wearing a rubber washing up glove can give you the purchase you might need to undo these things. If that doesn't work use some soft jaw grips or normal grips and protect the finish with a rag.
Sounds good Stigster. Thanks for getting back to me.

Reply to Stubborn taps. Need advice on dismantling in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need to replace the washer of my kitchen mixer tap as it is leaking. I was able to remove the spout once by unscrewing the screw on the back of the tap. However now I can't remove it again as it seems I must have used the wrong screw head and have rounded off the head. Please see attached...
Replies
Views
Hi, My Blanco Kitchen Tap Model Swift BM1420 is leaking. Please see attached photos for details of where water leaks from. What I've done so far. I replaced the cartridge. Leak persisted. Bought some replacement seals and tried to put in place of the old ones. Here's what I did next. Remove...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello I have a Franke Planar Kitchen tap and it’s got a leak. One drop per minute. I’ve been on YouTube and seen that there are grub screws to remove, first for the handle, then once that is off the square piece between the handle and the tap body to get the cartridge for replacement. I have...
Replies
Views
I’ve cleaned the grooves and tightened the grub screw at the bottom, but this tap handle (on the right of the photo) just won’t stay put. When turning the water off it either drops back or comes off. I suspect the problem may be with the screw, which doesn’t seem to move much. How might I get...
Replies
Views
Forgive my ignorance, with this basic question, but I seem to be struggling to both understand, search for, and source, the appropriate washer, o-ring or gland, for this type of tap. Maybe, no one ever replaces this type of washer/component? Background: I discovered a leak in the cupboard from...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock