Search the forum,

Discuss Stuart Turner Mainsboost charger in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

We have <2 bar coming into the house, sometimes as low as 1bar and on occasion .8bar. Thames Water been out, won't / can't do a thing. Not obligated to do so since 1bar recorded delivered on average over a week (logger fitted).

We have a terrace house, loft extension has a power shower only. When the rest of the street is showering the mains inlet pressure gauge will read 1.0 bar making the loft shower unworkable.

Has anyone any experience with the Stuart Turner Mainsboost charger ?

We have a cold water storage tank next to our mains inlet under the stairs ground floor. I'm wondering if a Stuart Turner Mainsboost charger might help with pressurising the cold water storage (approved stuart turner tank) to 3.0 bar , instead of the mains 1-1.5 bar, my understanding this would also feed the hot water cylinder storing our hot water at 3.0 bar giving both cold and hot water storage at 3.0 bar throughout the house. Is this a correct understanding?

Additionally, If any plumber serves West London (W6) has any experience fitting or can suggest alternatives pls get in touch.

Rgds

Marcus

Wouldn't do anything for your hot water.

Increase cold water storage then pump on hot and cold to shower.

Ok, thanks. Something like the Stuart turner monsoon ? I do notice however that those pumps specify a vented system, ours is unvented . Why would this matter ? If not Stuart turner pumps , can someone recommend an alternative best in market pump for hot and cold vented . Thanks in advance for the help.

any chance of a pic of said tank by the mains ?

any chance of a pic of said tank by the mains ?
IMG_20180829_214217.jpg

Pipe at the far left is the mains .

Yes you should be able to pre charge that easily enough just need to adjust pressures etc

The solution I use in West London is a 300 or 600 litre pumped accumulator ( provided that you have the space (600*600mm for 300 litres). It resolves the issue of the dreadful pressure and flow rates delivered by Thames Water (TW) over the very wide area of Acton to Twickenham once and for all. The system will give you a cold water feed to the property of 25 litres per minute at 4 bar, the duration being dependent upon the stored volume and recharge rate.

When your plumber installed the Unvented System (UV) did he not raise the issue of inadequate supply flow and pressure with you?

With respect to an UV system you cannot pump from it. You can only increase the pressure and or flow rate to the feed

Mains Boost is (in my experience) not very effective. Under its best operating conditions, the maximum flow it will draw, is 12 litres per minute. Also be aware that although they are approved for use, the approval is conditional. If TW identify one installed that is impacting your neighbours supply (which it probably will) they (normally) ask you to remove it. An accumulator has no additional impact on your neighbours supply.

Last edited:
Yes you should be able to pre charge that easily enough just need to adjust pressures etc

ok. So a pre-charge of our cold water storage to say 3 bar, would this not deliver cold water to the hot water cylinder at 3 bar also, therefore hot water pressure would increase to 3 bar? Or am i missing something here.

With the above said. Am i best to look at a Stuart Turner Mainsboost charger or Monsoon (twin hot/cold) pump.

Thanks

Depends how the cylinder was plumbed in but yes it should

mains boost charger

shower pump isn’t acceptable

Reply to Stuart Turner Mainsboost charger in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
We have a Stuart Turner Monsoon 2 bar shower pump which has lately been either refusing to start, or not switching off when we turn off the shower. Tapping the side of the outlet pipe seems to unstick it more often than not, but it's a real nuisance. We have an oil-fired Aga, and the water does...
Replies
Views
Joandfran
J
Hi All I have a Grundfos Amazon SSP 3 bar positive head pump fitted, pumping domestic hot water. Its always been on the noisy side, been in for about 10 years. I had been thinking about changing it for a Stuart Turner Monsoon 3.0 Single which is more expensive. Is it a better quality pump, will...
Replies
Views
This sounds like an examination question but it really is a problem two different plumbers have been unable to resolve after spending several hours studying my hot water system. My flat has a vented hot water system supplying hot water to the kitchen and bathroom taps. The pump is a Stuart...
Replies
Views
I have a negative head twin impeller Stuart Turner pump feeding hot and cold to three showers, one bath, plus hot to three basin's from my gravity fed, loft cold water tank and airing cupboard hot water tank. Occasionally the pump operates for a couple of seconds without demand for water. More...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock