Search the forum,

Discuss Strange sewage smell coming from behind kitchen sink cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

any help would be gratefully accepted. We’ve had a single storey extension to the rear with toilet. Now we have a strange sewage like odour coming from behind the kitchen sink but not this side of the trap. The sink waste along with the new bathroom waste all now go into the soil pipe which in turn is now enclosed in the extension. The soil stack is now a plastic one instead of a cast iron one which has a cap or air admittance valve on top. This has also been shortened by about 5 feet and no longer goes through the waves and onto the roof. There is also a new manhole which I haven’t checked if it’s blocked but I wouldn’t think so as it’s only weeks old. (I’ll lift the lid and check at the weekend) once again thanks for any help. Steve.

Thing is. We’ve also had the kitchen done and we didn’t notice the smell before. But there’s only 2 weeks difference in finishing times. Could it be the aav or kitchen fitter? Would A plumber be able to tell without ripping the plaster stud wall down to access the pipes?

Although just re reading things, I take it the AAV isn't where the bad smell is noticeable? In which case its probably more likely to be something else, but without being out there its hard to say. A plumber should be able to narrow it down to a few possibilities but from what you've said about your setup I doubt they'll be able to confirm let alone fix it without some plasterboard being removed I'm afraid./

The point PW is that the AAV will not let foul gases out not that its faulty. The point of a soils stack is to let air both in AND out. If its blocked by a poxy AAV then it WILL come out elsewhere. End of.

If this were my place, then I'd simply take the thing off first. If the problem goes away then get the builder back to repipe it properly to 1m above the nearest opening window as the regs say. AAVs are a rubbish builders bodge.

The point PW is that the AAV will not let foul gases out not that its faulty. The point of a soils stack is to let air both in AND out. If its blocked by a poxy AAV then it WILL come out elsewhere. End of.

If this were my place, then I'd simply take the thing off first. If the problem goes away then get the builder back to repipe it properly to 1m above the nearest opening window as the regs say. AAVs are a rubbish builders bodge.
Cheers I’ll remove that then as soon as I’m home. Then I suppose wait to see if the gases disperse.

Yes they're not meant to let foul gases out, but they can if faulty but its a moot point here. Agree with you that they're a crap bodge with potential to cause a lot of headache solely so the builder can avoid doing fitting the soil stack properly.

If the AAV is blocking it and its letting foul air out elsewhere isn't this potentially indicating an issue with the soil stack, i.e. if it can less gases out within the house it could also let waste water seep out? Suppose its prob more likely that the foul air is being forced through water traps due to pressure probs if blocked by aav.

If the AAV is blocking it and its letting foul air out elsewhere isn't this potentially indicating an issue with the soil stack, i.e. if it can less gases out within the house it could also let waste water seep out? Suppose its prob more likely that the foul air is being forced through water traps due to pressure probs if blocked by aav.

Maybe. Without knowing all the layout we can't be sure this isn't the only foul gas exit. Designers don't generally put in what's not needed. If it's the only outlet then it perfectly normal for gases to escape elsewhere as sewers need to breathe. Once again we have no idea of runs etc. With so many traps being shallow these days, it WILL find its way out. Just takes more of a build up to overcome a deeper trap.

Right so I’ve cut the aav off as it was welded on and I’ll replace that with a bend and extend it up past the gutter as it was before. The pipes are as shown in the pics. I’ve lifted the manhole and it doesn’t appear blocked but I could be wrong. (The debris you can see fell in when I lifted the lid)

0C8D1888-AF90-4CFA-9C8F-D6A16DBF7291.jpeg

4E4DE5FE-FB22-4128-B48E-5D04B0902111.jpeg

It's not really a question of how fast the flow should be. The fall on the pipe should not allow any standing or sluggish water. There's a blockage somewhere. Clear out that debris. If you've had your dinner and you're up for it, lift the next lid on the run. Watch out for Mr Rat. Enjoy :)

It's not really a question of how fast the flow should be. The fall on the pipe should not allow any standing or sluggish water. There's a blockage somewhere. Clear out that debris. If you've had your dinner and you're up for it, lift the next lid on the run. Watch out for Mr Rat. Enjoy :)
So I’ve been and bought some rods today and cleared the manhole. Got some old peices of the cast iron soil pipe out the the builder obviously dropped when he was fitting the plastic pipe. Plus a few other odds n hens. Literally. Lol. Now I’ll suppose it’s how long I have to wait before the smell disperses from behind the sink.

9A87584F-A20D-4937-B010-6288AB220E5A.jpeg

So now everything is unblocked. How long would it normally take for the smell from behind the sink disappear. It’s not coming from the plug hole.

How long is a piece of string?

Unless you have some way of blasting fresh air through all the voids where the smell is lingering it will gradually diminish and lose a certain proportion of its concentration day-by-day.

My worry, and I'm always a pessimist when it comes to drains, would be that the root cause of the smell is a leaky drain and the blockage forced sewage out through the leak into the surrounding ground. If this is the case it will take as long as it takes for the ground to dry out.

If I owned this problem and the smell hung around for more than a week or so, I'd be considering having a CCTV inspection and a leak test. As I said, I am a bit of a pessimist, but a builder that left the drains in the condition you found them in is IME likely to have cut other corners. In these days of 'polluter pays', you really don't want to have a foul drain leaking into the ground for years.

U nfortunately there's definitely a bit of a problem there . It's just not possible to cut into an insepction chamber in that way. Debris will always be falling in and blocking the pipe (aided by rats), sewage will then be leaking out into the ground causing a potential health hazard.:oops: It will need sorting.

If that's soil that is visible between the white pipe and the black plastic you might want to think about sealing it to avoid any soil getting into the drains and causing another blockage

Also just another thought you want to make sure that whatever you sell it with rats can't get through (could get some wire mesh I'm there) as they're drawn to sewers and could cause even more problems.

As the integrity of the I/C has been breached significantly and the gas pipe has been exposed... I'm out... Good luck

So. A week or so has past and we’re waiting for the smell to disperse. A strange update that the smell is mainly concentrated to behind the sink and totally goes when the window is open. (But it’s not going out the window) comes back minutes after the window is shut. Strange.

Airflow is coming in the open window and pushing the smell back down behind the sink where there is an opening down to where the sewage leak is - the opening from which the sewage usually smell issues. Have you lifted the lids on that run again yet? I know I said i was out but I can't not see a problem through to the end.

Yes I’ve been and looked today in the light. All appears well. Could the fact that the lid isn’t fully sealed (we’re waiting til the new year for the flagging to be done) be a contributing factor with pushing the sewage smell up the drains? With the air getting in from the lid. Cheers for the help.

No it won't be that even with the manhole cover removed it shouldn't create any smells in your kitchen. When you say the smell is behind the sink, do you mean at kitchen counter top level, or in the cuboards underneath?

Reply to Strange sewage smell coming from behind kitchen sink cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock