Search the forum,

Discuss Strange issue with boiler - (Baxi Bermuda 401 - Vintage) - no central heating! in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello folks, just fired up the boiler for the winter and booked in a service and i'm having an odd issue, the hot water heats up fine, scalding hot but the boiler refuses to fire up the central heating. I have one of these old back boilers behind a fireplace which has a separate control panel in the kitchen which lets you choose between CH/HW. When I select only Central Heating the boiler in the living room does not fire up, when I select both it fires up but only heats one radiator (in kitchen) and even then only very slightly at the top.

I have considered switching to a combi boiler every winter for the 10 years I've been here but I've been putting it off until the boiler is out of commission due to the disruption this would cause with vinyl flooring needing lifted etc. Any suggestions or experiences for anyone else in the past or with these boilers in general? I'm not a fan of gas central heating since I grew up with electric (and didn't have to pay the bills!) but the gas fire on it is lovely on a cold winter, can't help but feel its slightly unsafe even with regular servicing and a Co2 alarm.

Any thoughts much appreciated, thank you!

Depending how old either you have gravity circulation for hot water and pumped for heating which means the pump has either jammed over the summer not being used or it has failed or you have either an s plan or y plan and the zone or diverted valve is not making the connection on heating. Check pump first if pump ok you need to call out your heating guy

The issue is I can't find my pump, its not in the airing cupboard next to the hot water cylinder, a previous engineer seemed to think it was below the laminate flooring near the boiler in the living room but the only pipe coming up from the floor is the gas pipe.

If the pump is under the laminate and it’s failed, then laminate will need to come up. However you say you’re getting hot water from it, so I’d be looking at a motorised valve. Also I doubt you have a CO2 (Carbon dioxide) alarm, more like CO (Carbon monoxide).

Reply to Strange issue with boiler - (Baxi Bermuda 401 - Vintage) - no central heating! in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock