Search the forum,

Discuss Strange intermittent leak from kitchen ceiling in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

P

Peterbromley

Hi,

I have a bit of a strange problem. A handful of times I've had a leak from the kitchen ceiling. This has always occurred when there has been a potential 'water pressure event'. The first two times happened exactly when there was a major leak down the road from us, the second couple of times when I was fitting a new garden tap, which required me to turn the outside water on and off a few times.

My theory is that for some reason these events have led to a surge in pressure (I realise that these events might be expected to lead to pressure dropping) which in turn led the toilet cistern on the first floor (directly above the leak) to overflow (unfortunately the cistern was tiled in by cowboy builders once upon a time, so I can't check inside without cutting it open). That would explain the fact that the leak only happens now and again.

One of the times there was a leak the water was lukewarm. There was no drop in the boiler pressure, suggesting that the lead didn't come from a hot water pipe. The dishwasher was on at the time, but that's on the ground floor so hard to see how it can lead to hot water leaking from the first floor unless there's some really crazy plumbing.

We occasionally have water hammer, most recently at the time of a leak. I solved that by reducing the flow at the water mains just by partially closing the stopcock. I understand water hammer might indicate that the pressure is too high.

There is no leak from the shower. Totally dry underneath the bathtub.

We have had the insurance company send emergency plumbers round, but they didn't really have any theories for what it might be.

Anyway, any insights gratefully received.

Peter

Reply to Strange intermittent leak from kitchen ceiling in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock