Search the forum,

Discuss Stopcock / Stop Tap just keeps turning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sclewer

Hi there, I have a leaky washer that needs to be replaced, however when I try to isolate the water supply the stopcock / stop tap just keeps turning around and around. I think the thread may be gone or something.

To replace this stopcock I would need to isolate the water supply and drain the tank, however I hope that someone may have a suggestion of how I might be able to turn this stopcock off without replacing it.

Any ideas welcome

Thanks

Sounds u/s to me, is the spindle going round and round or just the top bit? Use the one out on the street, better off replacing stop tap, for the sake of a few quid, if things go wrong your always gonna regret not doing it.

If the washer is doing your head in, you could always freeze it if there's no isolation valve, if it's upstairs and your cold pressure is not high it can be possible to turn on taps down stairs to stop flow to your tap upstairs, not the best way to do things I know, but if needs must...

I'd reccomend getting a plumber in to change stop tap, they can be buggers sometime just like the mains stop tap out in the street.

Is this stoptap with a red handle by any chance? stopcock or gate valve? sounds as though broken in on position.it sounds as though if you say drain the tank. Put a rag or a potato in the cold feed to the cylinder or drain from mixer in shower. and swap like for like. If it is a stoptap to the property call a plumber and take no risks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds u/s to me, is the spindle going round and round or just the top bit? Use the one out on the street, better off replacing stop tap, for the sake of a few quid, if things go wrong your always gonna regret not doing it.

If the washer is doing your head in, you could always freeze it if there's no isolation valve, if it's upstairs and your cold pressure is not high it can be possible to turn on taps down stairs to stop flow to your tap upstairs, not the best way to do things I know, but if needs must...

I'd reccomend getting a plumber in to change stop tap, they can be buggers sometime just like the mains stop tap out in the street.

Hi Steve001, Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid it is the whole spindle that is going round and round so I guess it will have to replaced. We have a large water tank in the loft and I can isolate the water to the tank but then will probably have to drain it which I was trying to avoid but I guess it looks there is not much choice. Thanks again

Is this stoptap with a red handle by any chance? stopcock or gate valve? sounds as though broken in on position.it sounds as though if you say drain the tank. Put a rag or a potato in the cold feed to the cylinder or drain from mixer in shower. and swap like for like. If it is a stoptap to the property call a plumber and take no risks.

Hi johnmcginty, Thanks for your reply. Yes it does have a red handle but it is not the main tap to the property. I think there has been quite a lot of work done in the past and we have several stop taps in different locations. The broken one is in a cupboard and is the main feed from the water tank in the loft to the hot water tank (there is another stop tap next to it and that is for the cold water from the water tank). Looks like I will have to drain the tank but will see if I can plug the outlet from the tank as you suggest.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Aslong as the gate valve is higher than the outlet on top of cylinder you can bung the tank and change valve. Run hot tap until it stops to make sure it is properly bunged. You can use a potato or something like someone suggested, or pay for a proper kit but it would be cheaper to drain the tank if you was to buy one of these

http://www.uk-plumbing.com/Regin-Radiator-Valve-Change-Kit-REGR05-p-40282.html?source=googlebase

I've used a wine bottle stopper (conical in shape) wrapped in ptfe to stop the feed from a F&E cistern before now...worked a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stopcock / Stop Tap just keeps turning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock