Search the forum,

Discuss stop tap won't reopen. in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Helping a friend fit a new flush mechanism to his upstairs loo. No ball valve so fitted one of those in the process, hence needed to stop water supply from cold water storage in loft. He closed the feed from the cold water tank, tap stiff but didn't need any force with a spanner (wrench/grips) to turn.

Job all done and time to turn the stop tap back on and it just goes round and round. Red tap head removed and the brass shaft turn easily but just keep turning. I can get a trickle of water flowing wafter a combination of tapping the stop tap body and pulling the tap had outwards.

My conclusion - tap washer stuck, needs a new tap. Beyond my 'pay grade'.

Any other ideas welcome

Thanks

If it was red handled it's a Gate valve and the thread normally wears or shears in the gate.
New gate valve (or lever valve) required, not a stop tap tho' as the pressure at the tank isn't high enough to lift the washer / jumper.

Reply to stop tap won't reopen. in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock