Search the forum,

Discuss Stop tap passing in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
I worked at a house where the internal stop tap was passing. But could isolate in the road. Access to the internal tap for swapping the whole valve isn't great. It it usually ok to split the valve and just change the head? Or even the washer? Thanks

Yep aslong as the new head fits which looks like it will

Thanks so the heads are usually the same size? Is it a box spanner job to remove? I was looking at possibly a tap spanner if not.

The moden ish ones yes and if the screw on the handle isn’t stuck then either box would be better

So all been well it should just screw out and swap over like that. The body length of the old stop tap does look slightly longer.

If the new washers stays then nothing if you loose it a couple of wraps of prfe

Thanks that little washer on the body doesn't seem like much to hold mains pressure? Is there a possibility of just changing the actual black stop tap washer if there is a problem swapping the body?

I'd go for changing the washer only of possible, bit of paste putting the tap back together. Change the body as a last resort.

With it not shutting of fully I guess it's almost certain it's the washer?
Or the valve seat, in which case you need to re-grind the valve seat.

The tap head to body washer is almost certainly a fibre washer and I see no reason it should need anything additional to make a seal.

Ok I worked on the house and it is passing to swap the full valve would be very awkward. I guess I should really tell the customer? On the external stop tap the plastic on off piece is broke the water board is coming out to change that.

Unscrew the guts, as per your photo, inspect the valve seat.
If the seat is good, just change the black tap washer.
If seat bad, regrind first.
If handle very stiff or graunchy, swap out guts.
If seat too far gone will either have to swap whole tap - or leave it in position fully open and add another tap further up the pipe...

They always come out!

Yours looks nicely clipped but even so, if it’s really tight put a wedge or something between the tap body and the wall - this will stop force on the pipework causing deformation.

Then get out the appropriate sized stilsons and away you go, if you get up as far as a pair of 60’s with no joy - give up!

That's the set up. Head change the most advisable option there? Will need to cut in the the cupboard so can hold back on the valve.

Looks like there’s screws under the caps

Reply to Stop tap passing in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock