• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss Stop tap passing in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Ric2013

Plumber
With it not shutting of fully I guess it's almost certain it's the washer?
Or the valve seat, in which case you need to re-grind the valve seat.

The tap head to body washer is almost certainly a fibre washer and I see no reason it should need anything additional to make a seal.

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
Ok I worked on the house and it is passing to swap the full valve would be very awkward. I guess I should really tell the customer? On the external stop tap the plastic on off piece is broke the water board is coming out to change that.

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
Unscrew the guts, as per your photo, inspect the valve seat.
If the seat is good, just change the black tap washer.
If seat bad, regrind first.
If handle very stiff or graunchy, swap out guts.
If seat too far gone will either have to swap whole tap - or leave it in position fully open and add another tap further up the pipe...

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
They always come out!

Yours looks nicely clipped but even so, if it’s really tight put a wedge or something between the tap body and the wall - this will stop force on the pipework causing deformation.

Then get out the appropriate sized stilsons and away you go, if you get up as far as a pair of 60’s with no joy - give up!

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
That's the set up. Head change the most advisable option there? Will need to cut in the the cupboard so can hold back on the valve.

Reply to Stop tap passing in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net