• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss Stop tap passing in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
I worked at a house where the internal stop tap was passing. But could isolate in the road. Access to the internal tap for swapping the whole valve isn't great. It it usually ok to split the valve and just change the head? Or even the washer? Thanks

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
Thanks so the heads are usually the same size? Is it a box spanner job to remove? I was looking at possibly a tap spanner if not.

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
The moden ish ones yes and if the screw on the handle isn’t stuck then either box would be better

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
So all been well it should just screw out and swap over like that. The body length of the old stop tap does look slightly longer.

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
Thanks that little washer on the body doesn't seem like much to hold mains pressure? Is there a possibility of just changing the actual black stop tap washer if there is a problem swapping the body?

WC1

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I'd go for changing the washer only of possible, bit of paste putting the tap back together. Change the body as a last resort.

Reply to Stop tap passing in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net