Search the forum,

Discuss Stop frost stat kicking in? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

We have a 15 year old boiler situated in a poorly insulated garage (fixed to the same wall as our bedroom).

When it’s 5c outside (16c in house) it’s about the same in the garage and the frost stat kicks in. Twice a night we get the woken by the boiler coming on, the pump working and the pipes creaking.

Which of the following do you think would stop it coming on? I have £3k to solve the problem.
  1. Tube heater and insulation in garage
  2. Build insulated cabinet around boiler, frost stat and pipes
  3. Fit new boiler that is designed to be used in garages and has insulation built in (is that a thing?). New pump.
  4. Something else / combination of above

Put a new standard frost stat in with a pipe stat as well on the return pipe.

At the end of the day the frost stat is doing it's job. I'd insulate your garage more and maybe add a radiator.

Put a new standard frost stat in with a pipe stat as well on the return pipe.

At the end of the day the frost stat is doing it's job. I'd insulate your garage more and maybe add a radiator.
Thanks @EvilDrPorkChop . Do you mean a regular radiator linked up to the central heating? Presumably this would heat up the room while the CH is on and then the residual heat would hopefully see us through the night? Is a tube heater a bad idea?

I would say answer depends on how you use your garage.
If it’s a workshop and you spend time there eg wood turning then I would insulate the garage and if that doesn’t do it , add a simple oil heater with a timer and thermostat. You could adjust this such that it kept the garage temperature above the point where your boiler kicked in on its frost stat.

Thanks @EvilDrPorkChop . Do you mean a regular radiator linked up to the central heating? Presumably this would heat up the room while the CH is on and then the residual heat would hopefully see us through the night? Is a tube heater a bad idea?
My theory is that you may as well use the heat off the central heating to put a little into the garage, along with the fact that when the frost stat does kick in then it'll put some heat into the garage also to knock it off quicker, and help keep the boiler and pipes warm.

I think your best thing first would be to insulate though.

Is it a separate frost stat? If it is, is it mounted directly onto the brickwork? If it is then mount it on a block of wood off of the wall.

Reply to Stop frost stat kicking in? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock