Search the forum,

Discuss stopcock found after 30 years! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

My mum has just had a new boiler fitted and we found the stopcock sticking out the plaster behind the old boiler. I have been looking for it for ages so it was quite nice to finally find it. Do you think it is safe to try and turn it after putting some wd40 on it and leaving it for a while?

Picutre

IMG_0431.JPG

If it was in my house I'd try it but only if I had a free afternoon and there was a local merchant open or I already had all the parts I might need.
In a customers house I wouldn't touch it unless I was there specifically to fix it.
The only reason I'd touch it in my house is I know how to fix it if it leaks/breaks/falls off/explodes/opens a wormhole to hell and looking at that pic I'd say at least one of those things is likely.

You 100% there is not another one in the downstairs loo or by the sink somewhere in the kitchen?

Our outdoor one was down a hole and didn't shut the water off significantly, got the water board to fit a meter for free which comes with a shut off. No idea how they fitted it without getting soaked though.
In your case op i would just replace that one and replumb it outside of the wall too for that matter! No point leaving something like that in place as you wouldn't use it anyway.

As JC says, if you want to move/free it up.

But close of street iso & drain down system as far as poss & get a wet vac/plenty of towels ready - but not your missus's nice fluffy one's of you will be right in the sh.t

In my road all company stopcocks, unless metered, are in the front gardens and not easy to find.

One house badly flooded when owner away and keyholder had problems finding cock in house.

Perhaps a notice just inside front door as to where to find cock would be helpful.

I wouldn’t be fiddling with that tap unless I knew where the main stopcock was located and I knew I had the kit on me to repair if needs be.

got the water board to fit a meter for free which comes with a shut off. No idea how they fitted it without getting soaked though..[/QUOTE said:
They didn't!
I had them out to change a broken stopcock and they dug the hole, cut the main live with a petrol saw and then fitted the new stopcock. And yes, the fella got soaked.
It was quite funny because we were working on a ground floor maisonette and shutting of the stopcock turned the upstairs off as well. We warned the (big and burly) bloke upstairs who was ok ish about it as long as we were quick because , and I quote, " I've got me bird coming round soon and I need a shower and a s**t before she gets here"
So when the stopcock wouldn't turn back on he wasn't very happy. I sent the lad up to tell him.
Water board were out in a couple of hours though.

Reply to stopcock found after 30 years! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock