Search the forum,

Discuss Steel pipe fitting without thread. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I've got a steel pipe that's snapped off in the wall (see the photo). It travels through the wall and into a screeded floor. Is there a fitting suitable for gas or a way to thread the pipe without chopping half the wall away?

20190624_165023.jpg

Are you sure it’s gas and being used ?

Hello Na1han,

Some questions answered please?

1. If it’s for gas, is the installation safe?
  2. Are you gas safe registered?
  3. Are you sure it’s steel?
  4. What was on the end of it, or don’t you know?
Thanks,
Chris.

Hi Chris

I'm an apprentice gas engineer, a gas safe registered engineer has made safe and capped it off at the meter. We're going back tomorrow to try and sort it but we're both scratching our heads. Yep definitely steel.
It had a elbow on it that then ran along to the meter.

Last edited:
Sorry Na1han,

Mods might have to answer this, as it’s gas related and in an open forum.

looks bit big for a gas fire around 11/4 "?

also you sure it snapped as normally gas pipe is heavy wall so will bend first

as for threading rems does an attachment for restricted threading

Rems-Eva-Manual-Threader.jpg

looks bit big for a gas fire around 11/4 "?

also you sure it snapped as normally gas pipe is heavy wall so will bend first

as for threading rems does an attachment for restricted threading

Rems-Eva-Manual-Threader.jpg

Perfect that's exactly what we need. I knew there must of been a way to thread it. Have you got a link or do you know what the attachment is called as I've had a Google and can't seem to find it.

Sorry mate, didn’t think we were allowed to reply as it’s gas advice in a public forum, but looks like you’re sorted.

I’m not entirely convinced it’s a gas pipe

It looks like 3/8" or 1/2" to me going off the brick joints but it also looks a bit thin walled to be medium steel. Could be light though, it is difficult to tell off a photo.
I wouldn't attempt it without being able to hold back rigid and take it down gradually. You will need to take out the surrounding brickwork. It is possible you will upset the thread or threads along the way. It may even convert to copper at the other end (have you looked behind the fire)? The amount of torque on those machines is enough to break a joint. It needs a bit of skill, experience etc. It needs testing properly too afterwards.

Agreed although threading is a skill I think the average diyer would struggle with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Steel pipe fitting without thread. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock