Search the forum,

Discuss Steel galvanised pipes and lead in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Australia
P

Patricia5

Hi there

I’m 10 weeks pregnant and found out we have some steel galvanised pipes with corrosion which was causing our tap water to run discoloured for a few seconds when not used for a couple of days. I understand this is from rust but was told lead could also be leaking into our water because of the types of pipes. We are going to get the pipes replace as soon as we can but just so worried about the risk I’ve been drinking tap water contaminated by lead. It’s hard to gauge online how likely this is. If anyone could shed any light or offer any opinions I’d be so grateful!

No expert but there are tons of houses still using lead in the UK. While its advisable to change it, I don’t believe there is any imminent risk unless the pipes have been disturbed and masses of particles have entered the supply.

I don’t think theres a lot you can do now but start drinking tap water until you get it sorted to mitigate risk

A lot depends on your water.
If its hard any lead pipes will internal long ago have been coated .
If you have soft water very different matter.
Contact your water supplier in all 3 water supply areas we work in the supplier offers free water quality testing..

As above, get your water company to test your supply. Symptoms of lead poisoning are on the NHS direct website. As with all matters of concern during pregnancy, consult your midwife of GP (as opposed to random websites recommended by Dr Google).

As above, soft water is more of a risk due to Plumbo solvency. I wouldn't let it worry you too much. Until you have the lead replaced - if that's your intention - run the tap before drinking water from it, especially in a morning when water will have been still in the pipe for hours. If you use the WC when you arise, that first flush is enough in most houses to clear the main supply to your property so you won't need to run a lot out of the tap itself.

Only my opinion.

Reply to Steel galvanised pipes and lead in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock