Search the forum,

Discuss Steel framed house radiator help in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

C

CCHT97

We have just moved into a steel framed house and we are replacing the old copper system with push fit. Our fourth bedroom has a steel beam running outside the room door and going straight along. The wall is a load bearing brick wall seated on top of it.

We have laid our pipes under the floor boards and had a look to see how they placed the pipes previously in the fourth bedroom. Due to being thin copper piping they have made a notch in the beam and laid the pipes on top just under the floor boards passing into the fourth room.

Our new John Guest push fit pipes are too large for this space and we struggling to find an alternative route.

Can you drill through the steel beam to create space or is this advised against? I’m just assuming with a load bearing wall on top this is something we won’t be able to do but there is no other route into this room that we can think of.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would ask a structural engineer if it can be drilled if not will have to have boxing either below or above the beam to hide the pipework

Reply to Steel framed house radiator help in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and screed floor. There is a gas servile pipe under the floor which enters the property below the joists at the front of the house and comes up under the...
Replies
Views
Newish house with radiators that have microbore pipe but on one of them the pipe is sticking up above the radiator which looks unsightly. Is it possible to push the excess pipe back into the wall? I'm worried about causing a leak.
Replies
Views
I am seeking some advice on how to seal up my sump pit. I currently get condensation on the walls and floor around the pit, and in the past there has been accumulation of mold on the walls, due to about 6" of standing water in the bottom of the pit. The air also smells bad and is somewhat...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock