Search the forum,

Discuss Starting your own business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, still rather new on the forum but i wondering what advice you can give on going it on your own and starting your own plumbing and heating business. Just the usual rules of thumb stuff, harsh lessons learnt and general order of process on making the big jump!

A bit about me, I'm 33 years old, single but have 1 dependant. Home owner with a mortgage. Based in central Scotland. Been a plumber for 16 years. Gas Safe registered. Mostly in new build construction.

At the moment, I'm building up my knowledge in my weak area such as boiler breakdowns and general maintenance by doing free jobs for mates, family etc and just bought the 2 John Reginald books. Reading loads on business/plumbing and related forums. Purchasing more tools and equipment when i can afford to. Looking into some courses to. Its all i can think about to be honest.

The reasons i want to go out on my own are; the job satisfaction isn't enough on new build. Good money but thats it. To build a better future for myself and son. To maximise earning potential and hopefully not being crawling under scaffolding when I'm 70 odd.

The order i was thinking was to start planning and get business cards made up and fire them out to as many as i can. I have the option of self employment and I'm on price work so i could try and work 2/3 day weeks on site and then do my own work the other days and Hopefully build from there

How did you guys to it? I would love to hear your own stories.

Cheers

Hi, still rather new on the forum but i wondering what advice you can give on going it on your own and starting your own plumbing and heating business.

Try the search box (well-hidden by being white on a white background, near top right of this page) to find the many threads answering the same question. Come back with some specific questions that you would like answered.

Try the search box (well-hidden by being white on a white background, near top right of this page) to find the many threads answering the same question. Come back with some specific questions that you would like answered.
Thanks Chuck!

Hi, still rather new on the forum but i wondering what advice you can give on going it on your own and starting your own plumbing and heating business. Just the usual rules of thumb stuff, harsh lessons learnt and general order of process on making the big jump!

A bit about me, I'm 33 years old, single but have 1 dependant. Home owner with a mortgage. Based in central Scotland. Been a plumber for 16 years. Gas Safe registered. Mostly in new build construction.

At the moment, I'm building up my knowledge in my weak area such as boiler breakdowns and general maintenance by doing free jobs for mates, family etc and just bought the 2 John Reginald books. Reading loads on business/plumbing and related forums. Purchasing more tools and equipment when i can afford to. Looking into some courses to. Its all i can think about to be honest.

The reasons i want to go out on my own are; the job satisfaction isn't enough on new build. Good money but thats it. To build a better future for myself and son. To maximise earning potential and hopefully not being crawling under scaffolding when I'm 70 odd.

The order i was thinking was to start planning and get business cards made up and fire them out to as many as i can. I have the option of self employment and I'm on price work so i could try and work 2/3 day weeks on site and then do my own work the other days and Hopefully build from there

How did you guys to it? I would love to hear your own stories.

Cheers
I actually worked for British Rail early 80's full time while building up my 1st plumbing and heating outfit. Working at my business either side of shift work. When I got too much work went off sick or took holiday. Got customers from leafleting houses and word of mouth. Its easier now due to facebook etc. Getting customers is hard enough loosing them due to being late not turning up and shoddy work is quite easy. Good news travels slow bad very quickly. We took on anything...write the business first sort the problems later. When the work got enough I just stopped going into British Rail one day...no turning back that way.
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

I was lucky when I set up I lived with my Mrs in a mobile home at the bottom of her parents garden so only outgoings was a bottle of gas every 2 weeks.

Don't underestimate the costs of advertising in my first year I spent a fortune on advertising some good and some bad.

Get your pricing right from the start. I started off having a flat hourly rate then worked out I was out all day and earning less than I would on the books so I now charge more for the first hour.

If your not going to turn up or be late let them know. Generally customers realise you get held up at times and if you let them know your late.

Try not to go too far out of your comfort zone. It can be a very lonely place being self employed when things go wrong. So if your used to domestic jobs don't go and price a new hotel straight away because you think it will give you 3 months work. Stick with what you know and build from there. Maybe in 5/6 years you will be able to take on the big jobs.

BE VERY WARY OF OTHER TRADES ESPECIALLY BUILDERS. I have been bankrupt because of a builder, I've also had sparkles etc ask me to price up jobs for them then moan as they thought I was going to be cheaper even though they want to charge you £200 labour for a 2 hour max job. Same with a plasterer as well he earns £250 a day and moaned when I priced a job at £275 a day!!!!!!!

Don't be afraid to ask for a deposit, cash flow is key so get enough to cover your materials plus a bit extra. Now I get a 50% deposit unless I think they are a pain or a builder. If they don't want to pay a deposit don't worry about the job. Chances are they will argue the price afterwards.

Hi, where in Central Scotland?
I'm a landlord with a portfolio in and around Falkirk and always looking for a decent (and decent priced) gas engineer for boiler installs etc.
Will be needing a back boiler replaced in a couple of months in Stirling if interested.

Grass isn't always greener. If your married and want to stay married don't go self employed! You will have no life and days that your suppose to be off your mind won't switch off.
Totally different if you've been handed down a business from generations where you have a large customer base.
Too many guys out there under cutting each other or customer wants thing cheap. Internet has done damage to this industry where people see how much things cost or try and do it them selfs from you tube videos.
It's grim! Life is too short to be stressing over were my next job is going to be or waiting to get paid.
I'm only being honest!

Grass isn't always greener. If your married and want to stay married don't go self employed! You will have no life and days that your suppose to be off your mind won't switch off.
Totally different if you've been handed down a business from generations where you have a large customer base.
Too many guys out there under cutting each other or customer wants thing cheap. Internet has done damage to this industry where people see how much things cost or try and do it them selfs from you tube videos.
It's grim! Life is too short to be stressing over were my next job is going to be or waiting to get paid.
I'm only being honest!
I dont agree. Self employment if your suited to it, ie a self starter, competant and good at selling can be great. You can earn more put expenses against tax employ wife as a tax deduction, claim parts of your normal life expenses. The trick is to aim high and do everything you can control correctly. There will ALWAYS be problems its how you deal with the problems is what counts. You may want to grow your business..go from 1 man to 5 quickly, 3 dont earn enough profit for the boss. Keep records and accounts you may have something to sell when you get older. Pension is tax deductable. Talk it over with SWMBO ...been self employed in this industry for 41 years now and would do it all over again. It did cost me a wife
but that was collateral damage.
centralheatking

Last edited:
Hi, where in Central Scotland?
I'm a landlord with a portfolio in and around Falkirk and always looking for a decent (and decent priced) gas engineer for boiler installs etc.
Will be needing a back boiler replaced in a couple of months in Stirling if interested.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I live in Tullibody. That's very intersting.

I still need to get set up with GSR, Insurance etc etc which i will be cracking on with over the next couple of months. I would be more than happy to meet and give you a quote and if i don't have everything in place for this job i can always provide a service for you in the future. Would you wish to share contact details?

Can i ask a couple of research questions? How do you find the plumbers/heating engineers to be in this area? Reliable? Fair on pricing? What would be your biggest complaint and what do you regard is important to you when you employ our services? Cheers Ryan

I'm only being honest!

Although self employed isn't for everyone and yes the grass isn't always greener I do disagree. During the week I may be late home from time to time but weekends I don't work apart from 1 holiday let company with about 10 houses that pay within 20 minutes of receiving the invoice, if they phone and I can go out I will go out if I can't I can't. There is also I am not restricted to 20 days holiday I have plenty of half days or long weekends with the family that I wouldn't if I was employed. Also when you have quiet days I spend it with my family if they are around or if not surf's up baby! I tried to do that when I was employed and I couldn't as they always found me more work but not the others.

Yes the internet has made things a little harder but I like the honest route, if people say that boiler sounds more expensive than I can get it I say all materials supplied by me I put 10% on for installs and 20% for breakdowns, if you have a problem you can phone me and I will come out if you buy the cheaper one you get no warranty off me. They usually go with me if they don't then I'm not worried I don't want the sort of customer that doesn't want me to survive and just want the cheapest quote.

Without offending anyone if your a worker then give it a try it's not for everyone but if you like it the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

Although self employed isn't for everyone and yes the grass isn't always greener I do disagree. During the week I may be late home from time to time but weekends I don't work apart from 1 holiday let company with about 10 houses that pay within 20 minutes of receiving the invoice, if they phone and I can go out I will go out if I can't I can't. There is also I am not restricted to 20 days holiday I have plenty of half days or long weekends with the family that I wouldn't if I was employed. Also when you have quiet days I spend it with my family if they are around or if not surf's up baby! I tried to do that when I was employed and I couldn't as they always found me more work but not the others.

Yes the internet has made things a little harder but I like the honest route, if people say that boiler sounds more expensive than I can get it I say all materials supplied by me I put 10% on for installs and 20% for breakdowns, if you have a problem you can phone me and I will come out if you buy the cheaper one you get no warranty off me. They usually go with me if they don't then I'm not worried I don't want the sort of customer that doesn't want me to survive and just want the cheapest quote.

Without offending anyone if your a worker then give it a try it's not for everyone but if you like it the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

Hi mate, thanks for your post. I like the way you explain your mark up on materials. Do you mean 20% on any material you may need to fix boiler etc? A company i worked with put a 30% mark up on all material.

My advice is simple .........

1. build up a large cash reserve in your business account before you start
2. always provide written estimates / quotes so that what you are doing is clear and this should avoid payment issues
3. agree stage payments when doing work that has time scales out of your control (builders and self managed refurbs are the worst)
4. Don't join the race to the bottom - theres always some mug who will undercut you
5. Changing washers on taps and fixing leaks don't pay the bills BUT you need to establish yourself and get referrals before the larger jobs come your way
6. Use you trade account credit terms wisely .....
7. Don't promise what you can't deliver
8. Contact customers if you are going to be delayed
9. You won't be working 5 days per week, 48 weeks of the year
10. Being SE means no holiday pay, no sick pay, no pension, no bank holiday pay ........

and finally

allow 2 hours per day for admin / planning - yes really

Hi mate, thanks for your post. I like the way you explain your mark up on materials. Do you mean 20% on any material you may need to fix boiler etc? A company i worked with put a 30% mark up on all material.

Yeah I put 20% on all bits on smaller jobs I haven't tried putting more on the bits.

My advice is simple ...

1. build up a large cash reserve in your business account before you start
2. always provide written estimates / quotes so that what you are doing is clear and this should avoid payment issues
3. agree stage payments when doing work that has time scales out of your control (builders and self managed refurbs are the worst)
4. Don't join the race to the bottom - theres always some mug who will undercut you
5. Changing washers on taps and fixing leaks don't pay the bills BUT you need to establish yourself and get referrals before the larger jobs come your way
6. Use you trade account credit terms wisely ...
7. Don't promise what you can't deliver
8. Contact customers if you are going to be delayed
9. You won't be working 5 days per week, 48 weeks of the year
10. Being SE means no holiday pay, no sick pay, no pension, no bank holiday pay .

and finally

allow 2 hours per day for admin / planning - yes really

I disagree with 5. Give me 4 small jobs a day and I earn as much as I would doing a full day I also have time for surfing. And admin/planning I do as I go along.

I have accounts all over the place..they are all nice suppliers. Now watch out for price change ..be carefull...its dead easy to scratch your name
for 4 or 5 bundles of 15mm 22mm pipe
pass it on to the customer and then find the price goes lala. by the time you get your wedge ..oops.
It works both ways ..a few years ago we needed 3 or 4 bundles of
Full length ..22mm 6 m stuff just b 4
xmas ...the price was stupid low
We bought the lot ...wiped out the silly builders merchant fella
24 bundles of 6m 22mm at 50%
of the going price...then sold it on ..same day...but it can work
both ways ...
centralheatking

N

I disagree with 5. Give me 4 small jobs a day and I earn as much as I would doing a full day I also have time for surfing. And admin/planning I do as I go along.
Thanks everyone for there contributions. On another note, where do you go sufring Millsy? Last time i went was up in Thurso. I'm not very good but it's just as much fun!

Time spent in the office / shed - wherever you do your planning and thinking is imo as least as important than time on the tools, esp when you're starting out

Cheers everyone for their contributions. Its all greety recived.

Been thinking about names this week, so far I've got RCA Plumbing & Heating services (my name is Ryan, son is Callum. Second name is Andrews). Andrews Plumbing & Heating services. I was trying to go on location so came up with Ochilview Plumbing & Heating. Going to price up GSR now. Once i get a name ill get cards made up. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I know the website like trustatradesman and mybuilder get alot of bad rep on this but does anyone else use them on here to get work in dry times?

Totally agree on pricing and having cash behind me. Would like to be able to have enough saved to survive the worst of worst months.

My biggest expense starting up will be a van. I've always had a company van. What would your advise be on this topic?

Cheers again everyone! Much appreciated.

Thanks everyone for there contributions. On another note, where do you go sufring Millsy? Last time i went was up in Thurso. I'm not very good but it's just as much fun!

I'm the other end of the country mate down in cornwall.

Cheers everyone for their contributions. Its all greety recived.

Been thinking about names this week, so far I've got RCA Plumbing & Heating services (my name is Ryan, son is Callum. Second name is Andrews). Andrews Plumbing & Heating services. I was trying to go on location so came up with Ochilview Plumbing & Heating. Going to price up GSR now. Once i get a name ill get cards made up. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I know the website like trustatradesman and mybuilder get alot of bad rep on this but does anyone else use them on here to get work in dry times?

Totally agree on pricing and having cash behind me. Would like to be able to have enough saved to survive the worst of worst months.

My biggest expense starting up will be a van. I've always had a company van. What would your advise be on this topic?

Cheers again everyone! Much appreciated.

In my opinion when it comes to names think about what you want to achieve with your business. I had no interest in employing people when I set up now I have the odd day I think I should get someone else to do the installs but in my heart I can't be bothered with the hassle.

If you want to grow a business so you get off the tools then think up a good name if your like me and just want to be your own boss and are not too fussed about employing people then just use your full name. I think it allows your customer to think they know you and you have that sort of personal touch type thing. The thing is if you just use your name people then expect you so if you do choose to grow then it may take some explaining that it's not you doing the job.

If your ambition is to grow your business then expand and become the next british gas or Pimlico then choose a name that doesn't tie you to 1 particular region like if I chose to have newquay gas people in falmouth will think I don't go that far and if I want to expand beyond the borders into Devon people think I would rather have someone local.

Questions for you.

What is it about you and your business that's different from everyone else?

Why would anyone call you rather than the next person in the book?

In an industry where everyone is undercutting everyone else, you MUST consider those questions and then, when you've worked out what your USP is, STICK TO IT otherwise you'll join the race to price oblivion.

Questions for you.

What is it about you and your business that's different from everyone else?

Why would anyone call you rather than the next person in the book?

In an industry where everyone is undercutting everyone else, you MUST consider those questions and then, when you've worked out what your USP is, STICK TO IT otherwise you'll join the race to price oblivion.

I think you don't really need a usp. If your good at your job, sensible with your pricing and reliable then you will find your way. Yes there are loads of people trying to undercut each other and let them have the customers stupid enough to go for the cheapest quote. It may take some time but you will build a solid base if you stick to those 3 things.

Most businesses don’t fail through being bad at their core trade it’s the stuff around the edges. I found a woman that does admin for me and she is a godsend. Answers the phone, organises jobs. Chases up late payers, deals with accounts etc. There are quite a few people who do it adhoc that are quite cheap.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to give a wee update. I basically took the plunge in February. Circumstances lead me to starting earlier than I expected but I guess when I have an idea in my head I'm like a hamster at a wheel.

Basically I was wanting to say what I've done since then and then maybe you guys could advise so I'm not currently doing anything wrong in your opinion or missing a very important part in the wheel so to speak. So here goes. I've also got some questions to ask at the end that I will post separate. Ps I just want to say the past 2 months have been an absolute blast. I wake up everyday rarring to go.

1. Leave the worst plumbing contractor in Scotland.

2.Go Self Employed through HRMC that night.

3. Name my company RCA Plumbing & Heating Services

4. Get work as a sub contractor on a new build site in Edinburgh. This is my comfort blanket. Enough work to keep me going 6 days a week. Mortgage covered.

5. Trade in my car for a van. Car was pcp and I always had a company van.

6. Get Gas Safe Registered. Buy public liability insurance.

7. Joined rated people. Seems its quite good up here.

8. My typical week is site Monday to Friday 8am to 3pm. Monday, Wednesday, Friday I've been doing private work after work. 2to3 hour jobs mostly. Saturday shift on site or private. Rest Sunday.

Now here comes my questions....

1. how to upscale it so I'm doing 5 days a week my private work and using my contractor as back up for quiet weeks.

2. Gas Inspection is 14th of June. What to expect.

3. I need a new FGA, what would you recommend?

4. Since I've started I've not done any bookkeeping whatsoever. Where do I fit this in? I don't why but it scares me and I'll do anything else to avoid it.

5. Pricing. I guess this is all personal and specific for where we live but I've solely used rated people for all my private work. Earning around £300.00 per week. I've had a 5 star review for every job and when I give a price the usual reply is that's very reasonable. My price list:

£30 per hour. 1st hour £30 per hour
£45 per hour call out charge
Disconnect gas hob £30
Connect Gas hob £60
Outside tap £80
Bathroom suite £450
10% Mark up on materials.

Thanks for reading. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Ryan

^^ book keeping is a necessary evil, ignore it and you won’t have a clue what you are earning or how to fill out your tax return. Do it daily.

Don’t forget to save for your tax and class 4 NI

1 it takes time, but it also takes advertising. I find local magazines parish magazines etc to be fairly cheap and productive.

2 they are not there to catch you out. Most of them are there to help.if your unsure ask them. Make sure you have things like pads warning notices etc.

3 I like kane myself. Same as boilers though everybody has their favourites.

4 even if you keep something basic it helps. But then you need to employ an accountant at the end of the year.
I just keep a tally of jobs then at the end of the month tally up Amy fuel advertising costs van repairs direct debits etc so you know where your money is going I also like to write how much I get off each job how much I spent on that job etc so I can keep a track on if my pricing is going.
For each job I write invoice date, 1st line address, invoice number, how they paid cash cheque etc, total invoice, materials, total- materials.

5 each to their own with pricing but what you will find is £30 for your first hour is too cheap, you lose a lot of time driving between each job so charge more for first hour then work your pricing from that.

Thanks, just while you touched on the topic charging more for your first hour, do you still charge a full hour for Sat a 10 minute job? What's your thoughts on deposits?

I charge £60 for first hour £35 after that what I found was I was doing 4/5 paid jobs then quoting etc for the rest of the day so working all day for £120-£150 now if I do the same its £240-£300.

Big jobs I take minimum 50% deposit i used to take materials plus 10% but now it's just generally 50% unless i dont trust them. Be honest with people say your a 1 man band and that you cant afford to lose a grand on the job. Most people understand if they dont dont worry too much.

You could train your mrs to do the book keeping and claim her pay against tax and part of the house and bills, her phone also.
If you want to hide how much you are making from her dont do this, your father might be a good choice...teach whoever well and you will never look back. Fixed price outside tap adverts is a good seasonal lark
....subject to survey. We used to do 'red hot deals' in August and September for central heating servicing. Sounds like you are well suited to self employment
some fellas just are not.
centralheatking

Your rates are cheap! don't under rate yourself if you don't charge the correct rate others will.

£30 -£40 per hour depending on the job and how busy you are. The way I look at it handyman are charging £20 per hour and tilers are charging £30 per hour.
We are recognised trade with qualifications and experience, and there's no two jobs that are the same.

Reply to Starting your own business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock