Search the forum,

Discuss Starting again / training in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

M

Mark20

Hi all,

I am 38 years old and have spent the last 15 years of my working life as an accountant. I have recently been made redundant so have a fair bit of money but don't want to continue my career in finance.

Hence why I am here :)

I have no qualifications in the "trades" or real practical experience but I would love to do something practical that gets me out and about. How would someone of my age get the "on site" experience needed to fully qualify as a plumber? I am aware most employers wouldn't want to pay minimum wage for someone unskilled but I do have the money to self-fund the courses?

Just looking for ideas / suggestions - I am in the Wisbech area of Cambridgeshire if that helps.

Best regards
Mark

Greetings Mark, can I ask, why plumbing? Also, are you wanting to go self employed eventually? If yes, I’d be looking at how much competition is in your area. Regards site experience, a local independent may take you on if you find your own course.

Greetings Mark, can I ask, why plumbing? Also, are you wanting to go self employed eventually? If yes, I’d be looking at how much competition is in your area. Regards site experience, a local independent may take you on if you find your own course.
I was interested in plumbing when I was younger, but at the time I couldn't find an apprenticeship for love nor money. Yes, I would love to eventually be self-employed.

If I self funded my courses, could an independent take me on to cover off the bits I need rather than fully committing to the cost of employing me? Just thinking of ideas to make me more attractive to a potential employer?

Just a stupid question Mark - how good is your fitness, and how are the knees etc.? Plumbing is a tough trade.

I know those of us who sat chained to a desk for years also realise just how bad that is for your health (which might seem a laughable concept from the trades view)

I do like the fact you have done some plumbing before.

The very best of luck.

Cheers,

Roy (amateur)

When I was young I was interested in becoming a lawyer like Petrocelli (one for the teenagers) and permantently working on an incomplete house, I only managed to succeed in part of my dream.

Look, there are plenty of folks nearly gas qualified struggling to get experience to complete their portfolios and this site is littered with those requests and they're not expecting to be paid. You're starting from below ground level in terms of age, experience and qualifications so I can't really see why anybody would take you on except as the lowliest of labourers where your ability to learn will be very limited.

My advice would be get back to working as an accountant with the intention of trying to get gas qualified perhaps part time or try for something else. It needn't be gas, could be another trade that requires less training, experience and financing. You have to be realistic about what's achievable and how.

Reply to Starting again / training in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock