Search the forum,

Discuss Start-Up Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bohica41

I am just starting a PPC2 Cse with Trade Qualified - so am hoping to be qualified and ready to trade independently on my tod within about 6 months. However, I'm already starting to think about vans (sizes/makes/specs), accountants (is it worthwhile - how muchshould I expect to pay), advertising (what works best?). Apologies if these issues have been dealt with elsewhere...but any advice gratefully received.

Sam

god help you if you think after six months you can carry out work as a plumber,and god help your custermers.van cant beat a transit,£500 to£1500

Hi. You need to earn it before counting. Quick books soft ware is easy to use, coupled with a couple of bin bags for incoming and out going and your away. God Luck

I am just starting a PPC2 Cse with Trade Qualified - so am hoping to be qualified and ready to trade independently on my tod within about 6 months. However, I'm already starting to think about vans (sizes/makes/specs), accountants (is it worthwhile - how muchshould I expect to pay), advertising (what works best?). Apologies if these issues have been dealt with elsewhere...but any advice gratefully received.

Sam

no offence but have you researched the current market at all i shouldnt worry too much about an accountant as your first year will involve lots of subtraction work and very little addition
i can only assume you have been told you will need an accountant because when that first 30,000 starts rolling in you will be too busy counting the profits
here a taster
1/van
2/van insurance(commercial)
3/public liability ins
4/tools
5/advertising
6/time quoting versus jobs secured
7/callbacks(you will make mistakes
let me offer some constructive advice
do the course but find yourself a willing plumber and learn the trade as after six months then solo you will probably be living on bread and dripping
its tough out there for experienced guys at present

plumbers .self employed / employed by larger companies etc.if you work on a site most building comps do all the ancillery work cutting holes etc .work on your own you have to do that as well.who has convinced you that after six months you will be able to work as a competant plumber.have you considerd public liability insurence ,i think you will proberly need it.if you are that confident why not do the reactfast course six weeks and you will be fully competant and qualified.

Thanks for the advice all - even that which had a negative spin. My question regarding accountancy was with regard to the tax advice they can give - ie what's deductible so that you can maximise any profits (should I have any), or minimise any losses (may be the more likely scenario in the current climate). As to the ability to plumb effectively in six months - I'm not exactly starting from ground zero having renovated (from roof to floor) 3 houses to live-in, whilst still holding down a full-time job. Thus, the issue of tools (barring a few exceptions) has already been dealt with. I think many of the questions on this excellent site are testament to the fact that even experienced plumbers are continually learning/coming-up against novel situations _ i won't be any different in this regard. Personally, I expect that work will be slow to begin with, one has to build decent client base through advertising develop a reputation (for punctuality, attention to detail, quality workmanship etc....all of the things that have helped me identify and hire quality tradesmen myself in the past). So God won't help my clients....I will.

As for living on bread and dripping....if you're married to a Vet it's hardly ever on the menu.

advertising wise ive fround a local leaflet drop works well, highlighted as a "no job too small". that way you can hopefully pick up smaller jobs as you ease into it and let your confidence grow.

open a business account and you can pay merchants ect via cheque.. keeps it all in one account so keeping tabs is easier and if and when theres a tax issue its easier to work with.

im running everything out of an estate car, but vanwise when the time comes as long as i can fit a 3mtr copper length it will do, bathrooms ect and the suppliers will deliver to the customer.

Nobody is a plumber after 6 months, but your course will give you a good basis and given a few years out there getting wet .....:)

Good on you for having the balls to change your life mate.

i very rarely comment on issues of such a stereotypical targeted area (more experienced plumbers trying to 'dis' newbies, even tho i agree the majority of the time) , but if you know the tools, are from a trade yourself, and have contacts, confidence and most of all common sense, then the odd customers misfortunes (liability insurance of course) should well be worth a life changing decision for a confident tradesman. after all, you only live twice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Start-Up Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock