Search the forum,

Discuss squealing noise in bathroom mix tap and how to open up the tap in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

The bathroom mix tap has developed a loud squealing noise. We suspect it's the problem with the washer by checking the related threads in this forum. But we need to open up the tap. Anyone knows how to open up the tap (the image attached), for which we don't have a clue yet. Many thanks.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 9
1. It won't have a washer, it will have a thermostatic cartridge for temperature control and a ceramic disc style flow valve.
2. May well have Allen grub screws inserted through holes in the undersides of the square knobs. Usually 2.0, 2.5 or occasionally 3 mm Allen key required.
3. If not as 2, above, will probably just pull off.
4. You will also probably need to remove the flat chrome plated wall plate to access the cartridges. Probably just fixed in place with silicone, but could be held by screwed rings behind knobs.

Many thanks for your reply. I have taken off the screw, but it still doesn't come off easily. Any idea about how to pull it off?

1. It won't have a washer, it will have a thermostatic cartridge for temperature control and a ceramic disc style flow valve.
2. May well have Allen grub screws inserted through holes in the undersides of the square knobs. Usually 2.0, 2.5 or occasionally 3 mm Allen key required.
3. If not as 2, above, will probably just pull off.
4. You will also probably need to remove the flat chrome plated wall plate to access the cartridges. Probably just fixed in place with silicone, but could be held by screwed rings behind knobs.

1. If you are talking about the knobs, they should pull off once the grub screws are removed. Just make sure there is no another grub screw under the first.
2. If you are talking about the wall plate, a further photograph with the knobs removed would be useful.

Reply to squealing noise in bathroom mix tap and how to open up the tap in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hi. Can anyone help me get into this tap? I have them on the bathroom sink and bath and 2 out of 4 are dripping. I've have had two plumbers in to replace the washers and neither could get them open. The gold coloured ring under the top unscrews on two of them but won't budge on the ones that...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has been intermittently dripping from the hot tap, and the cold tap is squeaking when you turn it. Possibly two different issues, possibly related? The...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a customer with a modern anthracite vertical radiator and a modern TRV and lockshield. The radiator makes a loud metallic bang from within the radiator, when it heats up and cools down. I have opened the lockshield fully, lowered the boiler pressure from 2.5 bar to just over 1...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock