Search the forum,

Discuss Sprung a leak, stopcock Jammed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikael

Hello,

details;
house built in 1891,
gas central heating system installed in 1986;
gas boiler on the ground floor with an immersion tank upstairs.

Whilst renewing the floor boards in our house I managed to bash a nail straight through a water pipe, I immediately tried to turn the stopcock off but found though it turned, it did not actually switch the off the water coming through the taps or toilet.

In a moment of panic I cut the pipe with the water flowing and whipped on a compression fitting to rejoin the pipe. At the moment the pipe is fine however I am concerned that because it was done with water bellowing out its not a good job and wont last long.

The pipe runs parallel to the central heating system pipe so when the heating is switched on the pipe along side it heats up. The pipe I have damaged does not heat up at all, when I cut the pipe I found water flowed from both directions clear clean water flowed from one end and filthy black smelly water flowed from the other end.

I went out side to try and switch the water off as we have a small 6 inch square metal plate that says “water” on the path however found it was full of sand and when I dug into it couldn't find a tap at the bottom.

So two problems,

1. pipe needs to be properly repaired,
  2. stopcock needs to be replaced, or at least looked at? Presumably

question, how can I get the water switched off, im assuming the pipe I have damaged is the central heating system pipe, would you agree? And so even if I switch the water off to stop the water coming in, I am going to have drain the whole system out of water?

thanks

mike

yes the pipe you cut is the central heating! the black stuff is deposits from the corrosion in the system. if the compression fitting is not leaking now then it will continue to be ok! (you should add a corrosion inhibitor to protect your system)

you can change the stop tap by using a pipe freezing kit.

KJ

Hi. If you have managed to put the fitting on whether wet or dry the joint should be ok. There are a few different circuit that make up a plumbing and heat system in a house. Its important to know what part of the system the damaged pipe is associated with before specific advise can be given. As for stopcock, if on boundary of property the water company will maintain it for you. Good Luck

Thanks chaps,

Much appreciated

Mike

i would ask your water supplier to install a water meter that way you may save money and be able to isolate the system from the meter and any repairs/ maintenance you want can be carried out
bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sprung a leak, stopcock Jammed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock