Search the forum,

Discuss Spontaneously shattering shower screen - why? in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Can anyone explain this? I had a shower professionally istalled in my en-suite a few weeks ago, as art of a full refurb. We use the shower from time to time but not daily. I was sitting downstairs alone in the house when I heard a loud bang and went up to find the fixed glass of the shower partition had shattered. It hadnt been used at all that day. Is this a manufacturing fault? It was supposed to be toughened glass. Any other explanation. Please see the photos.View attachment 78654working at my desk in the house when I heard a loud bang and went up to find the fixed glass part of the shower partition had shattered. Supposed to have been toughened glass. It hadnt been used at all that day, and no one upstairs at the time. I can't explain it. Is this a fitting fault, or a manufacturing fault? Any other explanation. Please see the photos.View attachment 78654

I can’t view the photos as I don’t have permission. Sounds like there could have been a crack already - could be manufacturing default or installer.

48251DF7-60AE-414A-8188-8F15F536BD5E_1_105_c.jpeg

Picture not viewable.
There are quite a few reasons this can happen, I’ve known most reasons and dealt with this maybe a dozen times.

Stresses present since manufacture.

Received a blow in transit

Got knocked carrying it upstairs/into en suite.

Stress put onto glass by twisted/ poorly fitted metal profile.

Stress put onto glass by incorrectly fitted bracing arm.

Similarly by screws/plates done up without the appropriate gasket between metal/glass.

Thermal stress.

Sometimes I’ve got replacement glass foc from manufacturers but not always. Then my merchants usually get it at display rates from the rep.

I’ve been to a couple where a door exploded and I could see from the remains that the fitter had cross threaded a fitting resulting in a corner of the plate digging into the glass - so his fault.

And one where vertical wall profile had been slightly bent when it was put up- so again fitter at fault.

But usually it is not possible to determine why it happened, and unless a pretty bad error it is probably not the fitter’s fault.

Picture not viewable.
There are quite a few reasons this can happen, I’ve known most reasons and dealt with this maybe a dozen times.
It‘s on now, seems to be a point where it looks like something has hit it?

Picture not viewable.

Stresses present since manufacture.

Received a blow in transit

Got knocked carrying it upstairs/into en suite.

Stress put onto glass by twisted/ poorly fitted metal profile.

Stress put onto glass by incorrectly fitted bracing arm.

Similarly by screws/plates done up without the appropriate gasket between metal/glass.

Thermal stress.

Sometimes I’ve got replacement glass foc from manufacturers but not always. Then my merchants usually get it at display rates from the rep.

I’ve been to a couple where a door exploded and I could see from the remains that the fitter had cross threaded a fitting resulting in a corner of the plate digging into the glass - so his fault.

And one where vertical wall profile had been slightly bent when it was put up- so again fitter at fault.

But usually it is not possible to determine why it happened, and unless a pretty bad error it is probably not the fitter’s fault.

Thanks that is really helpfull. I will have a look at some of the things you suggested.
I became aware of spontaneously 'exploding' glass when our coffee table did this in the middle of the night.
It is a known phenomenon in the furniture world!

This web page, although verbose, does get to the bottom of why sheet glass can 'spontaneously' shatter, even when there are no external contributory factors:

So, tricky question for all of you professional plumbers - it was installed only 8 weeks ago, who should foot the bill for replacement?

Should be manufactures problem it’s more common than you think

Had one shatter in my hands. Supplier was blaming me for knocking it, but used to work with somebody who had worked producing toughened glass. He told me that it would have been the heat from my hands as the processing had left the glass overly stressed.
Supplier provided a new one foc and I fitted.

Just pleased it popped on me and not on a bairn in the shower.

So, tricky question for all of you professional plumbers - it was installed only 8 weeks ago, who should foot the bill for replacement?
Legally it's person you paid who is responsible to you. They'll claim from their supplier and so on up the chain.

Manufacturers sometimes offer a warranty direct to the end-user but this is in addition to your contractual and consumer rights not instead of.

Reply to Spontaneously shattering shower screen - why? in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock