Search the forum,

Discuss Spluttering Mains! HELP! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

el00oc

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could pick your collective brains...

I live in a top floor flat in a victorian conversion (3 flats below me). The mains water supply in my kitchen spits and sputters out air with the water for the first 5-10 seconds before a steady stream comes out. It does this pretty much every time and I don't know what to do!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks to everyone in advance,

el00oc

That usually happens when the main has been turned off and then back on. Should only happen once then normal service is resumed.

Is your kitchen mains supply (it should be) or does it come from a tank in the attic (not uncommon)? If it's the latter there could be an air lock.

What type of taps do you have?

Can u stop the flow from tap with your finger ? If so poor pressure

It would be manners to reply to your potential helpers el100oc
centralheatking

It would be manners to reply to your potential helpers el100oc
centralheatking

100% right! Sorry everyone and thank you for all your help so far!!!! Been a very hectic week.

The tap is definitely mains fed, and actually at peak times when the flats below are using water too, the tap will slow to a crawl, and actually stop altogether sometimes!!!

is this related to the spluttering do you think?

Thank you in advance, and apologies again to everyone for my late response.

el00oc

Yes it does point further to a shared main/wrongly piped up.
do you have your own water meter for the flat?
Has the spluttering always been a problem or just started?

Thanks Josh,

its been a problem ever since we moved in over 2 years ago. I'm not sure if we have our own water meter...I don't think so. I know the other flats will experience the same issue of the pressure dropping off and sometimes completely stopping for a few minutes.

In fact it's stopped right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Spluttering Mains! HELP! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a question, I want my flat to be separately connected to the mains water supply for water coming into my kitchen and bathroom instead of sharing the same pipework as my neighbours. Is this doable and if so is it the water board who will carry this out or a plumber? My flat has shared...
Replies
Views
Background I have a small one-bedroom flat in the roof space in a victorian house. There are three floors below and each floor has a single one-bedroom flat. The mains pipe bringing water into my top-floor flat is 15mm copper pipe. There is a water meter in the flat and a stop valve. There is...
Replies
Views
Morning everyone, if anyone could please offer advice on this issue it would help me with a massive issue regarding the water supply in my flat. My flat kitchen and bathroom was always on mains supply (no tank supply at all) and the rest of the 5 flats were mains supply to kitchen and water...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted some confirmation regarding a PRV fitted to the mains supply in my building. All 6 flats in the building are now connected to the mains water feed supply and the water tanks in the attic have been disconnected (each flat has a combi gas boiler). I can see there are 2...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock