Search the forum,

Discuss Splitting Central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

We refurbished our house 3 years ago, replumbing everything and adding an extension. We are currently in the process of doing a loft conversion.

When the house was refurbished, our central heating was set up so that we had one controller for the extension which has underfloor heating and one controller for the rest of the house.

Wed like to change the central heating so that we now have one (or two) controllers for the downstairs and importantly a separate controller for the rest of the house, however the plumber working on the loft has said this is a very difficult and ***bersome job and requires floors to be lifted and so on? We clearly don't want to be ripping up floor boards and so on.

Is there a work around? If not is there a way to have room specific thermostats to have the heating running differently, but that works a bit smarter than the valves on the radiators as I have found that this just doesn't work brilliantly.

Thanks

have a look at honeywell evo home

The Evohome will possibly achieve what you want to but in your Plumbers defense, he was probably thinking of separating the heating system into zones properly and that is not the same thing at all.

To separate a system into zones which are independent of each other (from a plumbing point of view) can be a fairly big job and would entail alterations to pipework, wiring and controls.

I would discuss this with him first, as he knows your system better than we do. Especially as you say
the valves on the radiators don't work brilliantly.

There are many programmable TRV heads, likely EvoHome or Tado is best, but the heads start at £10 each, with bluetooth (only to one phone) £15 each so you can set a program independent for each room, the cheap £15 units I am using can be linked together to form zones, called eQ-3 as yet not run a winter with them.

Clearly no TRV can heat a room if the boiler is not running, however in the main less heat is required to upper floors, so I use the expensive £40 each Energenie TRV heads on entrance floor linked to Nest, and cheap eQ-3 on upper floors.

Things more on, last year I would have said Hive was useless, but Hive have not produced there own range of TRV heads that uses a "heat on demand" function, so unlike Nest where the wall thermostat tells the TRV what to do, with Hive the TRV tells the wall thermostat to switch on for half hour slots, and will send demands until that room is warm enough, on paper Hive seems now to be rather a good method with off/on boiler control, however EvoHome, Nest and Tado all have the ability to connect to the ebus using OpenTherm.

I have tried to compare the different TRV heads, I can say the duel sensors in the Energenie heads where the water temperature compensates the air temperature reading for the heat from the radiator being so local works, not sure if others have the same, however also like the idea of the open window function of the eQ-3 where if it detects a rapid temperature drop it assumes window or door opened and switches off for 1/2 hour.

Energenie can have window micro-switches fitted, but never tried using it.

Reply to Splitting Central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need to extend my central heating from my newly built extension in to the old part of my house. I need to feed 3 rads in separate bedrooms on the first floor and then to feed a towel rail in a bathroom a rad in the utility and a rad in my lounge on the ground floor. Can I run my 22mm flow &...
Replies
Views
R
Hello its my 1st post hope im in the right place We brought a new house a medium-large 3 bedroom semi, we moved in the summer. Now coming to winter we started putting the central heating on. The central heating has a mind of its on it’s really strange iv never experienced this We put the heating...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock