Search the forum,

Discuss Spinning water meter in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have turned off the mains stopcock and this video shows that every now and then, the spinner moves on the meter.
Is this a "real" problem or is it 20p a day or something low enough to not warrant digging up the drive please?

If it’s registering, it’s either a leak underground, granted it could be ok, but could get worse, or it could be that the internal stopcock is passing, enough to register it now and again. If you open all cold outlets and see if the kitchen tap (or other lowest point) stops completely.

If it’s registering, it’s either a leak underground, granted it could be ok, but could get worse, or it could be that the internal stopcock is passing, enough to register it now and again. If you open all cold outlets and see if the kitchen tap (or other lowest point) stops completely.
Ah good idea but I have done this with the stopcock closed so I think it's under the drive which is new - maybe laying that has broken a pipe and that was done by the previous owner who no longer lives here so it would be complicated to ask them to sort it.

The spinner is static for about 30 or more seconds then move for one second(ish) half or 2 turns. As a result, I think that this is a very small leak

That is probably from a fill valve making up for a slight weep past a flush valve in a lavatory cistern.
Dry the back of the pan and lay a tissueto see if it gets wet.

If your conserned contact your water company who supply you, they will send a engineer to diagnose your problem and wasted water ? any faults from the external stopcock to your properties internal one will be your responsibility and will need to be addressed. Kop

Reply to Spinning water meter in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
I live in Azerbaijan and am looking to revamp the water system in my house. The first thing is that I don't have a water meter - probably a good thing as my mother in law pours tonnes of water on the garden in summer, mostly watering weeds as she can't tell the difference from grass. But the...
Replies
Views
Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water meter. Then another person called me to schedule a visit and they told me that its not their problem as both the water meter and the leaky stopcock are...
Replies
Views
Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our property, and the property itself. The water company fitted a new (smart) meter about 4 weeks ago. Now they have contacted us saying we have a leak...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock