Search the forum,

Discuss Spinning water meter in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have turned off the mains stopcock and this video shows that every now and then, the spinner moves on the meter.
Is this a "real" problem or is it 20p a day or something low enough to not warrant digging up the drive please?

If it’s registering, it’s either a leak underground, granted it could be ok, but could get worse, or it could be that the internal stopcock is passing, enough to register it now and again. If you open all cold outlets and see if the kitchen tap (or other lowest point) stops completely.

If it’s registering, it’s either a leak underground, granted it could be ok, but could get worse, or it could be that the internal stopcock is passing, enough to register it now and again. If you open all cold outlets and see if the kitchen tap (or other lowest point) stops completely.
Ah good idea but I have done this with the stopcock closed so I think it's under the drive which is new - maybe laying that has broken a pipe and that was done by the previous owner who no longer lives here so it would be complicated to ask them to sort it.

The spinner is static for about 30 or more seconds then move for one second(ish) half or 2 turns. As a result, I think that this is a very small leak

That is probably from a fill valve making up for a slight weep past a flush valve in a lavatory cistern.
Dry the back of the pan and lay a tissueto see if it gets wet.

If your conserned contact your water company who supply you, they will send a engineer to diagnose your problem and wasted water ? any faults from the external stopcock to your properties internal one will be your responsibility and will need to be addressed. Kop

Reply to Spinning water meter in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock