Search the forum,

Discuss Spinning thermostatic wall blanking plate in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone.
I hope that someone can provide some guidance on something I can’t figure out how it is done
Essentially my plumber has put in my thermostatic shower before the tiles have gone up
So now I need to remove the mixer and the blanking plates to tile and then to refit them afterwards
One problem
I can’t figure out how to get the things off
They just spin
I’ve tried a little elbow grease but there is no give, I don’t want to break anything
As you can see, the plumber had put in a metal sleeve, which I thought might have been stopping it - but I removed this and still the plate spins
The plate is a single piece, made by a shower company called Enki
Any thoughts on how I can get this off would be so appreciated right now, I have spent the entire afternoon on it :-/
..or should I tile around them..?
Thank you for reading

Attachments

• E3623B9B-3694-4739-9CD7-AD55DB8D70F4.jpeg
    E3623B9B-3694-4739-9CD7-AD55DB8D70F4.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 1BF8182B-56D5-4818-AEB4-F6BA00DE732A.jpeg
    1BF8182B-56D5-4818-AEB4-F6BA00DE732A.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 7711DF64-04B2-47B9-861A-6DEE2250B9BE.jpeg
    7711DF64-04B2-47B9-861A-6DEE2250B9BE.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 15
Thank you so much for the reply. You are right, my plumber finally replied and said the same. Tile around them he said

At least I can start now.

Really appreciate the reply and advice. Thank you :)!

No don’t tile around them you want to tile behind them

In an idea world Shaun is correct it looks like Hardi backer has been used as the backing board so you could possibly tile around them if you have the correct tools and skill ??

Is there enough play to ease the plates away from the wall and slip a tile behind?

Layout the tiles so there is a horizontal grout line centred on the pipes, then you will be able to just cut a semicircle in each tile and slip them around the pipe but behind the plate.

Thanks for all the comments

I had a feeling that the tile should’ve been behind them, that’s why I spent so long trying to figure out how to get them off.

Due to time constraints it looks like I am going to have to tile around them - and by the looks of it I am going to need to be super precise or it’s not going to work.

There is 1mm of give on the plates so nowhere near enough to get it in.

The back is plastered plasterboard which now has been waterproofing coated since the last pictures.

The way the tiles will be laid will mean I can hole saw the holes into the tiles, it might take one or two attempts but I can make it work

Really appreciate the time that has been taken to reply :)

You won’t be able to waterproof around and it’s a mess down the road waiting to happen

You won’t be able to waterproof around and it’s a mess down the road waiting to happen
I second this.

This is a mess and problem waiting to happen.

Do you want to fix it now, or take tiles off etc in the future.

I’m also questioning how much of a plumber your “plumber” is. Why is there tape on a thread that should seal with a washer...

Pipes should have be stubbed out 2” and capped off.

Once tiles are on, they’re cut to size and shower fitted.

I also can’t imagine how the plumber got the pipe horizontal without the use of a fitting. Having a push fit fitting buried in the wall is not a great idea...

Reply to Spinning thermostatic wall blanking plate in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock