Search the forum,

Discuss spider main in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumben

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
on a dry rot/damp job, ripped the kitchen out today, the main stop tap and pipework is corroded quite bad, (ill add photo tomorrow) id like to swap the tap but can not find a external tap anywhere, I know its a spider main but cant find the tap, any ideas

If you have ripped the kitchen out and there's not too much chance of damage you could do it live?
Obviously if you need to do any alterations before stoptap then no no, but if straight swap, could do?

I might give it ago, if I do ill have to video it so we can all have a good laugh
However its got 15mm copper coming up through the screed and I couldn't see any protection, and its quite corroded too

I agree, you could consider doing a swap if the nut is in good order & the same thread.
Or you could slice the pipe & shove a new stopcock on, first opened full & a piece of hose on the end of a pipe fitted to other end of valve to remove the pressure as you try holding the stopcock full on to tighten up.
Or do it the easy way & freeze below the old stopcock - a cheap one can kit will do.

Don't freeze it we want to see the vid lol.

nah freeze it pal IMO not worth getting drenched

I'll watch this one with interest - I've got a plumber coming to look at my stopcock which has been leaking since I shut it off - probably first time it's been moved in years

The tap is behind the doors, sorry

I'll watch this one with interest - I've got a plumber coming to look at my stopcock which has been leaking since I shut it off - probably first time it's been moved in years

The packing gland nut is t small nut in the centre of the valve on the stem. You could give it a small tighten with a shifter and save yourself a call out.

Thanks for the advice guys

I have already tightened the tap body as much as I dare and now it's only weeping a small amount but I daren't go any further and don't want to be responsible if anything goes wrong when shutting off outside

Better view of the tap attached so you can tut at how it used to be done

thats a first, photobombed by a couple of doors

Yeah, sorry, I was trying to show how much it had dripped in the hour before I realised it was dripping !

And apologies to the op for hijacking this :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to spider main in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock